Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Should a blaster smoke alot in the cold!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 12:44 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should a blaster smoke alot in the cold!!

my 2005 yamaha blaster smokes a LOTT and buggs at high rev. it also leaks 2-cycle oil when its warm from this black tube coming from the oil pump.

is this due to the 20degree weather i ride it in. or do i got a problem here.

are 2 stroke engines supposed to smoke alot in cold weather i mean thick white smoke, and when does that black tube comming from the oil pump leak.

Old 01-20-2008, 09:28 AM
Trailblazer

i have an 04 blaster and i ride it in cold weather all the time. its normal that it smokes alot, after you ride it for a few minutes the smoke wil not come out as much. Basicly it means that its not warmed up yet so i usually sit in neutral and rev it until only a little smoke is coming out.

----------------------------------------
2007 yamaha wolverine SE
2004 yamaha blaster
2005 yamaha TT-R 125

Old 01-20-2008, 10:38 AM
Pro Rider
I ride, because football, basketball, and baseball only uses one ball!

See your other post on this same topic for more answers

Old 01-20-2008, 12:14 PM
Pro Rider

So Where are the pictures of the leak?

Old 01-20-2008, 10:17 PM
Trailblazer

i am still working on uploading them i dont know how?

Old 01-21-2008, 01:27 AM
Pro Rider

buy an oil block off kit just because, blaster oil injections are somewhat known to going out and if it goes out with out you knowing you might come up with some choice words, this will help your oil leak.......mix your gas 32:1 which is a little on the rich side but its better than running lean i think.......2 strokes will smoke just like miwolvi said

Old 01-21-2008, 02:27 AM
Pro Rider
I ride, because football, basketball, and baseball only uses one ball!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: mdebuck

buy an oil block off kit just because, blaster oil injections are somewhat known to going out and if it goes out with out you knowing you might come up with some choice words, this will help your oil leak.......mix your gas 32:1 which is a little on the rich side but its better than running lean i think.......2 strokes will smoke just like miwolvi said</end quote></div>

Running slightly rich is better for your engine because your engine runs cooler, but running slightly lean will make your engine perform better as long as it's not too lean. Then it may overheat and melt the piston. You ever rode your quad on a cold day and been like "Man! I don't know what it is but this piece is fast today!" That's because the cold weather leaned it out some and it performed better.

Lets think about oil/fuel mixture and "rich" and "lean" conditions for a minute. A rich condition is when an engine is getting too much fuel and a lean condition is when it is not getting enough fuel. Think about your mixture as 1 drop of oil/fuel. The more parts of oil to gas in that drop, the less fuel you will have, which will cause a LEANER mixture because you don't have as much fuel. And the opposite is true - the less parts of oil to gas ratio in that drop will cause a RICHER mixture, so a 50:1 ratio is richer than a 32:1 ratio. Many people believe that having too much oil mixed is better than having too little, but it's the exact opposite. I mix my boat engine at 50:1 and run that bitch all day wide open. I don't know what Yamaha recommends for a Blaster, but you don't need to put more oil in it than that.

Old 01-21-2008, 03:59 AM
Pro Rider

i donno where your getting 50:1 is richer than 32:1, the 32 is gas the 1 is oil .........but your opinion is completely different from mine, i blew my 01 blaster runnin 40:1 then i ran 32:1 on my new 03 and i haven't had a problem at all....

Old 01-21-2008, 07:48 AM
Trailblazer

whats the best ratio to run in certain weather conditions.

Old 01-21-2008, 09:58 AM
Weekend Warrior

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: mdebuck

buy an oil block off kit just because, blaster oil injections are somewhat known to going out and if it goes out with out you knowing you might come up with some choice words, this will help your oil leak.......mix your gas 32:1 which is a little on the rich side but its better than running lean i think.......2 strokes will smoke just like miwolvi said</end quote></div>

i agree with the block off kit/mod and 32:1 is optimal for all weather conditions and locations.
2smokes will smoke until normal engine operating temps are reached. until then, there is no heat to burn off the oil. this is why you rarely see any smoke from a 2 stroke when it is warmed up and on the "pipe". if the machine is smoking excessively, there may be a issue with a leaking transmission seal(ie, crankseal) or possibly adding too much oil to the fuel

Quick Reply: Should a blaster smoke alot in the cold!!