Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Bear tracker final drive rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2016, 04:25 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bear tracker final drive rebuild

I've searched and not found answers to my specific issues. I picked up this atv for cheap and found it had a thrown rod. My father-in-law had a brand new motor and we installed it. Runs great except for a few disconnected hoses.

After the install I couldn't get it to roll, first I thought it was the rear brake, found nothing there so kept dissembling until I pulled the final drive and it wouldn't rotate. It had absolutely no fluid in it what so ever, no oil, no water. Every bearing is seized.

I already have a bearing and seal kit, I have everything apart except for the bearings on the pinion gear. I cannot get the larger bearing above the pinion off, there looks to be a collar above the bearing holding it in place. Is there a special procedure to get it apart? I haven't attempted the bearing on the bottom of the pinion yet, is there a procedure for that as well?

Thanks in advance.

Old 01-04-2016, 04:45 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

I haven't done a Yamaha diff so hesitated with an answer but, looking at the parts book, the pinion oil seal and o ring has to come out and you can then unscrew the castleated ring underneath. A special tool will be needed, I would use a piece of tube the same OD as the ring and cut or weld dogs on to engage with the cut outs in the ring. On Hondas the ring is punch peined into the alloy so it needs quite a lot of force to get it out.

The lower bearing should come out with a slide hammer. Honda bearings have a snap ring in the middle, like the ones on front driveshafts, this is a right pain to get out, but it looks, from the drawing, that the Yam doesn't have one. Warming the case may help to loosen it.