1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Kazuma Falcon 110 Difficulty Starting

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 09:32 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I may have spoken too soon!

It seems it ran great for two days, but now 5 days later I tried to start and it's doing the same thing.

To recap, I got it running well by taking off the air filter, squirting some gas in the carb, and nursed the throttle until it was purring like a kitten at idle. Ran and started fine for two days!

Now almost a week later, it's not wanting to start again! Suggestions?

Old 04-29-2010, 10:30 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Crank it for a while then pull out the plug. Is it wet with fuel, or dry?

While you have the plug out check for spark just to make sure you don't have an intermittent spark problem.

Put the plug back in and try spraying a little bit of starting fluid in the carburetor. Any fire?

Next I would adjust the valves.

After that I would be checking compression.

Old 04-30-2010, 01:35 PM
Trailblazer

Lynn, thanks for the tips.

Some more info:
I have taken apart the carb cleaned and put back on. At first it wouldn't start. However, when I put the gas line back on, gasoline flooded through the carb. So, I loosened the screw on the float tank on the carb and gas came out. Went back to start it, fired right up.

Went back outside about 20 min later, started but died. Then I could not get it to start again...

Also, just tested the things you suggested:
I have spark
Spark plug WAS wet (gasoline).

Old 05-01-2010, 03:29 PM
Trailblazer

Any tips about the plug being wet w/ fuel? I understand it means the air/gas mixture isn't right but don't know what to do to remedy it.

Old 05-01-2010, 04:01 PM
Trailblazer

Update:

I noticed the throttle where it connects to the carb had cracked rubber and wasn't really sealed or tight like it probably should be. I put some electric tape around it tightly and I seem to be having good luck starting it now.

Does this sound likely?

Old 05-01-2010, 11:47 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

You want the plug to be wet with fuel. If it is dry then you aren't getting fuel into the cylinder.

I don't know about the cracked rubber. If sealing it improves things then I'm wondering if there is an air leak into the intake manifold. Spray carburetor cleaner around the area when the engine is running and see if the engine speed changes. If it does that indicates a vacuum leak.

Old 05-02-2010, 09:03 PM
Trailblazer

I tried spraying around and didn't get a speed difference. It seems completely random that sometimes it doesn't want to start and sometimes it starts fine.

I did notice that the idle seems to change on its own "randomly" as well. If I goose the throttle, it bogs.

If it does die, I can't get it started again until I let it sit for a while and it's usually hard to get it to start again.

For the most part when it runs, it runs pretty good. At least smooth. Just a problem starting and occasionally dieing.

Old 05-02-2013, 09:00 AM
Weekend Warrior

I am new to this but I have had a guy working on our falcon. he has tried everything you two have said. He insist it needs a new timing chain. So my question is. Can the timing chain get stretched causing it not to start? It was running fine one day and the next day would not start and hasn't since. Got spark and steady fuel but still won't start or run. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Old 05-02-2013, 09:41 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by relentlessmatt
I am new to this but I have had a guy working on our falcon. he has tried everything you two have said. He insist it needs a new timing chain. So my question is. Can the timing chain get stretched causing it not to start? It was running fine one day and the next day would not start and hasn't since. Got spark and steady fuel but still won't start or run. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
there is a spring loaded tensioner for the chain. i dont see any way that it can stretch to the point of no start so unless its stretched 2 inches n jumps teeth. i dont see it being possible and i dont see steel roller chains stretching that far. i rag the living @#$! outta my 110cc n have never had an issue but i maintain my carb too.

75% its a carb issue on these e22 110cc knock offs or electrical issue between the engine and cdi and coil.

BUT if you have a Falcon 250 like i do then its most likely just needing valve adjustment. as mine constantly needs adjusting after a few months otherwise it it takes hours to start n the plug wont get wet. also i rag the $#!@ outta that one too lol and it has a spring loaded chain tensioner and ive yet to have any timing chain issues. *knock on wood* lol

id atleast have the guy show you the compared old and new chain. in my early days playin with these Chinese toys i learned that anyone who knows how to fix them told me a million n one issues wrong that would fix it costing $$$$$. so i did research and adjusted my valves as i was turning it over till it fired (took all of 3 minutes). then continued adjustment till there was no lifter tick at 1/8-1/4 throttle. ive yet to have it strand me on the trails since and always fires up first try.

best bet for knowledge is to get a clymer manual of the original name brand engine your kazuma is a copy of