1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Stator Output 200cc GIO (Zongshen)

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 04:35 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stator Output 200cc GIO (Zongshen)

I have a 200CC Gio Beast quad with the CG200 Zongshen motor, I was wondering how much output the stator has on it. I want to add some extra lights because the stock ones suck, and I dont want to drain the battery, or overwork the stator. The lights I want to add use 55W H3 bulbs, there are 2 lights. The quad is electric start, and has a voltage regulator.

Old 04-10-2010, 11:12 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Start up the quad and remove your main fuse. Put your digital volt meter across the fuse terminals set to measure current on the 10 amp DC scale.

[Usually this requires you move the red lead to the 10 amps current jack, and that the last person to do this type of measurement didn't blow the ten amp fuse inside the meter].

Turn on the headlights. At idle you should see a current value of some sort. Rev up the engine and watch the current reading. At idle it will read one polarity or the other depending on how you hooked the probes up, but when the engine rev's up you should see the current go to zero, change polarity, and raise up again.

At idle with the headlights on the quad will be sucking power out of the battery - ie the stator can't keep up with load from the headlights. When you increase the engine speed the stator output power increases - eventually bringing the net battery discharge current to zero, and then change polarity and start charging the battery back up.

Turn off your headlights and then hook up your new lights. Rev up the engine. Are you able to bring the battery discharge current to zero and make it switch polarity and start charging the battery at higher RPM's?

If yes, you can add these lights. If not then you will have to have a battery big enough to provide the extra current necessary to get there and back (and still start the quad if it should die).

Don't worry about overloading the stator or regulator. You can't. They take care of themsleves.

So what about high efficiency LED lighting systems? Same number of lumens for a lot less watts of power. It is a new emerging technology that may be worth looking into.

As a data point my 150cc GY6 engine with a 8 pole stator (bigger output) puts out 55 - 60 watts maxium.

Old 04-11-2010, 12:34 AM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I knew I had read a good article somewhere in the past about stators and output capacity in watts, but I couldn't find it earlier.

Well I found it. It is right here on this web site:

https://atvconnection.com/Department...ng-Systems.cfm

Maybe I need to go back and read the other technical articles in this section.