1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

chinese quad, no spark

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2017, 11:13 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All,
I wonder if any of you could possibly see if you can work out what's going on with my child's quad, if so I would be eternally grateful as I am at my wit's end with it!
It is a Loncin 110cc Chinese quad, I've been reading through this thread and I have replaced every bit of wiring and every component on the quad! I have checked all kill switches ( I think), I've tried disconnecting the kill switch wire from CDI but I still have no spark! And it's really getting me down right now! Lol!
Any advice at all would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance,
Ben.

Old 05-11-2017, 03:17 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

I haven't read through all 50 postings, but the trouble with generic advice is there are several different ways to wire a CDI, and the Chinese seem to use every different one. For example, some CDIs need the kill wire earthed, to spark, some need the kill wire not to be earthed, to spark. Buy the wrong type, and it will only spark with ignition switch in the off position, but the starter won't work with the switch in the off position.

My advice is to get the right wiring diagram, work out and understand what needs to be live, what needs to be earthed, then check that everything is as it should be.

Old 07-18-2017, 04:26 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Help

I have 2 Chinese four wheelers neither has spark one sparks when it want the other don't spark at all new coil new stator new key switch new battery still no spark
Don't know what else to do

Old 09-10-2018, 09:14 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by scamper
I just want to say a big thanks to all the people that help on here!
I was given 2 chinese quads that wouldn't work and the owners gave up.
both had electrical problems that both turned out to be kill switches. also as they had been sitting around for ages, they both needed the carbs cleaned out. I have one running perfectly and the other still needs a little more work.
it will idle but won't rev, I am guessing I need to clean the carb out again, there must have been a little bit of crap still there.

Just a side note, when I did get the second one running, it revved veeerrry slow and that was all it would do, It ended up being a blocked fuel tap, of all things.

anyway, thanks again.
Hey scamper, what was wrong with your kill switches. I have three units that will crank and crank and the kill on or off will still allow the motor to crank over?

Old 09-23-2018, 12:10 AM
Weekend Warrior

hi polarisone. the kill switches will kill spark but you can still turn the engine over but it wont fire up. pull the blk/white wire from the cdi and see if you get spark.
cheers

Old 07-03-2020, 03:36 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by LynnEdwards
Three common CDI's in no particular order:

Attachment 19143

Attachment 19144

Attachment 19145

Can you find any of these on you quad?

The main fuse is *always* real close to the battery plus terminal, or off the big fat red wire at the starter solenoid (follow the fat red wire from the battery plus terminal). But if your starter turns with the start button then your fuse is fine.
Great advice in this thread, helped out to get my stepsons quad running - thanks!

Old 04-05-2022, 03:48 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by harsch
I've since replaced the ignition switch. Also found out that the carb was gummed up pretty bad, and since it wasn't much more to buy a carb, I just replaced it completely, but now that the new carb is in I have no spark. I checked before the fuse blew and had great spark, but I didn't recheck after the fuse blew.
I have a similar problem. I have bought 8 new coils for a110 ATV and can't get spark spark on the second dairy part of the coil ,Why. I'm going nuts.any help

Old 04-05-2022, 04:00 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by harsch
I've since replaced the ignition switch. Also found out that the carb was gummed up pretty bad, and since it wasn't much more to buy a carb, I just replaced it completely, but now that the new carb is in I have no spark. I checked before the fuse blew and had great spark, but I didn't recheck after the fuse blew.
I have a similar problem. I have bought 8 new coils for a110 ATV and can't get spark spark on the second dairy part of the coil ,Why. I'm going nuts.any help

Old 04-06-2022, 02:14 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

Go through the checks in the "help diagnose stator" sticky at the top of this section. The values for resistance and volts are a guide only, every different make.model will be slightly different. Make sure you know how a CDI ignition system works. AC systems use a separate coil to produce AC power for the CDI, usually black/red wire from it. another coil on the outside of the flywheel, often called the trigger coil, signals the timing of the spark, usually blue/white wire. A kill wire from CDI to ignition switch and kill switch, earths this wire with switch in one position open circuit with switch in other position, usually black/white wire. Power for spark comes out of CDI to HT coil, often black/yellow wire. One or two green wires from CDI, go to earth. Wire colours vary from make to make, kill wire can be earth to kill or earth to run, depending on make. Nothing is certain when it comes to Chinese CDI systems, including the pin-out of the CDI.

Old 12-22-2022, 03:39 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Please help no spark

So brought my son a Kymco maxxer 90cc quad for Christmas, I’ve had to do engine rebuild so whilst engine was out ive sprayed the frame, put engine back in and forgot to sand down ground earth points, i then realized what I did so sort them, but in the mean time I was messing around with it trying to work out why no spark when my friend put my red jump lead (which was live as was charging battery from my van) so he put red jump lead onto the green pin on the ignition coil and basically blow it up, but hole in it and smoked, I’ve now got ground earth but still have no spark, I’m wondering if his fried the CDI unit as the black/yellow wire was still attach to coil at time and this leads straight to CDI unit,, Any help would be great as only 3 days left for crimbo lol. I’ve replaced ignition coil but still no spark
Edit

Quick Reply: chinese quad, no spark