1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

4 wires from stator ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 10:54 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

tested with 3 cdi's same thing trigger .2v,ignition power 11.9 v, grounded, and no voltage from cdi to coil.

Old 07-21-2010, 11:23 PM
Weekend Warrior

and no power to kill switch when kill switch is turned off, an power when kill switched on.

Old 07-22-2010, 10:53 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

In a previous post:

1) Do measure the stator trigger wire resistance to ground.
2) Make sure you have a ground to the CDI (use the meter to measure zero ohms on the lowest resistance scale).
3) Make sure the kill switch connection measures infinite ohms to ground on the highest resistance scale when the ignition switch is on and all kill switches set to the "run" position. Conversely, verify that the CDI kill switch wire is shorted to ground when the ignition switch is off or any of the kill switches are in the "stop" position.
4) Make sure the output wire of the CDI (to the coil) measures something like 0.3 ohms to ground (not zero ohms, and not infinite ohms).
1) and 3) haven't been done, or at least not reported back. You need to do these things... Information is the key to solving problems.

I also have no idea what you mean when you say "no power to kill switch" when off and later then "power to kill switch" when on. What were you measuring? AC volts? DC volts? What meter scale? What values did you measure? Meters don't just give "no voltage" and "voltage" indications. There is a broad range of possible values. This information is important.

You said you had no output voltage to the coil. How was this measured? AC? DC? What scale?

You said you have tried three CDI's now. Where did these CDI's come from? There's the toasted AC powered CDI, the Honda CDI, and the new CDI. Are these the three? The first one is smoked, the second has little chance of working since it from a wildly different machine, and then there is one more new one. If these are the three then from my thinking this means you only tried one CDI that had any reasonable chance of working, and it didn't come with the iron clad statement that it was a DC powered CDI.

If you have a proper and working CDI, with power and ground, a trigger pulse at the right time, it is not killed via the kill switch input, a good coil and spark plug, wiring connecting all these up, it *will* make spark.

Old 07-25-2010, 08:39 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 150 BMX no spark

Hey guys. I have a 150 BMX that was running find but difficult to start. I put a new carb on and it runs very smooth but still difficult to start. After several starts and stops, now there is no spark at all. I understand I need to check the wires coming from the CDI. From the pic in this thread, the green wires are ground, now I need to check the AC power. I turn my meter to AC put the red lead in the AC terminal and....put the black one where? Thanks.

Old 07-28-2010, 02:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by LynnEdwards
In a previous post:

1) and 3) haven't been done, or at least not reported back. You need to do these things... Information is the key to solving problems.

I also have no idea what you mean when you say "no power to kill switch" when off and later then "power to kill switch" when on. What were you measuring? AC volts? DC volts? What meter scale? What values did you measure? Meters don't just give "no voltage" and "voltage" indications. There is a broad range of possible values. This information is important.

You said you had no output voltage to the coil. How was this measured? AC? DC? What scale?

You said you have tried three CDI's now. Where did these CDI's come from? There's the toasted AC powered CDI, the Honda CDI, and the new CDI. Are these the three? The first one is smoked, the second has little chance of working since it from a wildly different machine, and then there is one more new one. If these are the three then from my thinking this means you only tried one CDI that had any reasonable chance of working, and it didn't come with the iron clad statement that it was a DC powered CDI.

If you have a proper and working CDI, with power and ground, a trigger pulse at the right time, it is not killed via the kill switch input, a good coil and spark plug, wiring connecting all these up, it *will* make spark.
Got a new cdi dc unit an fired right up THANK YOU so much for all the help Lynn.

Old 07-28-2010, 02:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

I'm glad you are on this fourm.

Old 08-01-2010, 07:42 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by joe16066
Got a new cdi dc unit an fired right up THANK YOU so much for all the help Lynn.
You are very welcome.

Lynn

Old 03-13-2018, 06:13 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Urgent help needed

I got this 250cc Hammerhead Twister for my daughter. It test drove perfectly fine of course. We got it home and drove it once. Parked it went out to drive it the next day and it will not start. It seems like I'm getting power to the starter and starter relay power in and out. I bought a new CDI unit. I'm using a test light and it lights up on both of the plugs that just have two plugs. Sorry keep in mind I'm a girl and I don't know anything about mechanics. But when I put my test light into the side that has four plugs it doesn't light up anywhere. There is no power coming out of the black and yellow wire that goes to the coil. You can text me at 573-539-9445 I know giving out my number is probably not wise butI will see a text before I see this