1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

startor smoking

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 03:45 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default startor smoking

i have a chinise atv 90cc and when i connect the battery the startor starts getting hot and smoke starts coming from on of the coils on the startor before i even start it what would cause this it has had a new startor on and still doing the same

Old 10-21-2010, 04:04 PM
Trailblazer

sit it down and tell it all the bad things about smoking and hopefully it will stop.

Old 10-21-2010, 11:22 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by thedevilofthenortheast
i have a chinise atv 90cc and when i connect the battery the startor starts getting hot and smoke starts coming from on of the coils on the startor before i even start it what would cause this it has had a new startor on and still doing the same
Are you talking about your "Starter" or "Stator"? I'm assuming it is your stator - inside the engine under the flywheel. Right?

Your voltage regulator is bad. This is a classic symptom for a classic problem. Unplug the regulator and the smoke most likely will stop.

But the question is have you done damage enough to the stator to keep it from working once you get a good regulator installed. I suspect you might have, since smoke is not good. Do you have a fuse off the battery? What size fuse is installed?

Old 10-22-2010, 05:57 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by midlifekrisiz
sit it down and tell it all the bad things about smoking and hopefully it will stop.

wow nuthin.....tough crowd

Old 10-23-2010, 06:49 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default what else?

Originally Posted by LynnEdwards
Are you talking about your "Starter" or "Stator"? I'm assuming it is your stator - inside the engine under the flywheel. Right?

Your voltage regulator is bad. This is a classic symptom for a classic problem. Unplug the regulator and the smoke most likely will stop.

But the question is have you done damage enough to the stator to keep it from working once you get a good regulator installed. I suspect you might have, since smoke is not good. Do you have a fuse off the battery? What size fuse is installed?
Lynn, what did the VR do exactly? does it short out and cause these problems? what else could it possibly burn up? just trying to learn more about the electrical side. to be honest, i didn't know this was a classic problem nor how prevalent it may be among quads.........

Old 10-24-2010, 11:14 AM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaster94
Lynn, what did the VR do exactly? does it short out and cause these problems? what else could it possibly burn up? just trying to learn more about the electrical side. to be honest, i didn't know this was a classic problem nor how prevalent it may be among quads.........
The regulator takes the highly variable output from the battery charge winding in the stator, converts it to 14 volts DC, and applies it to the battery to keep it charged.

The output of the stator is an AC voltage that varies with engine speed from 9 to 60 volts or more. The voltage regulator first must rectify the AC voltage and convert it to DC by using an array of diodes that only will allow current to pass one way.

Second, the voltage regulator must take this highly variable DC voltage and keep it topped off at 14 volts (plus or minus a half a volt). One way to do this is to use a transistor switch that connects the battery up to the rectified stator output. When the battery voltage is below 14 volts the switch turns on. When and if the stator is putting out enough power to pull up the battery voltage to 14 volts the switch turns off. Then the battery voltage falls back down to 12.6 volts and the switch turns back on. And then off, and then on... This cycle repeats perhaps a hundred thousand times per second. [This is just one method of many to keep the output at a steady 14 volts].

The diodes in the rectifier section of the regulator also block the battery from feeding current backwards into the stator battery charge winding. When the engine is stopped the stator is putting out zero volts while the battery is at 12.6 volts. Without the rectifier diodes in the regulator blocking reverse current the stator will draw a lot of current. My stator charge winding is about 1 ohm. 12 volts across 1 ohm is 12 amps (144 watts). 144 watts into a little coil = smoke.

The other two coils in the stator cannot be a source of smoke since they have no connection to anything that can source any power, nor can they generate any appreciable amounts of power (especially when the engine is stopped).

Thus if the stator is smoking with the engine stopped it must be current going backwards through the regulator (therefore the regulator is bad), or the bike is seriously miswired.

Old 10-24-2010, 02:59 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

WOW, i'm blown away...........thank you so much for teaching us. WOW,,,,,,,,,i understand it better now..........thanks again.