1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

07 Jetmoto 250 Clutch

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 08:21 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 Jetmoto 250 Clutch

I recently replaced the clutch in the quad believing it was bad. What I am experiencing right now is that the clutch does not want to fully disengage. When I put it in gear the idle drops and you can feel the pressure of the quad wanting to go forward all with the clutched pulled in. Additionally, when riding the quad you can hear a chattering with in the engine as if the plates are chattering. I soaked the fibers in oil prior to installation.

I have also adjusted the cable on the engine case to the point there is no free play in the clutch handle, but the problem still exist. I have also measured both clutch packs, new and old, and both measure with in a .002 of each other. Some say the cable is stretched, although this might be a problem, but even with all the slack removed from the cable the problem is still there.

I am wondering if I were to removed a fiber and a steel from the clutch would this help my issue? We are talking about taking out .160" (little over 5/32") from the clutch pack assembly.

Has anyone had a similar experience or might know a trick that I might have over looked?

Old 12-21-2010, 08:45 PM
Pro Rider

I just sent you a PM!

Old 12-21-2010, 09:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the PM I will check out the other source.

Another issued I might have found is the clutch lever does not have a large enough fulcrum therefore it doesn't pull the cable far enough to completely disengage the clutch.

Old 12-22-2010, 09:31 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by CalKidd
Thanks for the PM I will check out the other source.

Another issued I might have found is the clutch lever does not have a large enough fulcrum therefore it doesn't pull the cable far enough to completely disengage the clutch.
After thinking about it, (I always seem to think backwards as to whether it pulls in or out to disengage unless I'm sitting on the atv looking at it all) But this makes it look even more that it's a stretched cable or the cable adjustment on the trans cover is not correct!

You had noted that while adjusting the cable you can have slack in the cable and the problem is still there. Well with slack in the cable the clutch is fully engaged (riding position). Pulling the lever with that adjustment will not release the plates to disengaged. Now adjusting it totally the other direction with no slack and already pulling the arm on the trans housing should create a touchy clutch where you barley pull the lever and it pulls the plates away to a free no resistance position. If this all makes sense!