1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

SUNL 100cc won't start but has strong spark

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 04:13 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

now this was a good thread!
good, solid, and useful information. plenty of detail. good learning experience. a good read......thanks for the info guys!

Old 05-11-2011, 11:33 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by michael2605
I am also haveing the same problem, I bought a loncin 70cc 22E atv for my nephew. I have great spark blue and i used the old timers way my uncle recomended, sticking a screw driver in the plug cap, and it lit me up good!! timed it, checked compression did everything i can think of and ive worked on alot of atv'c over the years, at first it wouldnt kick over to save its life until i timed it and now it will kick and kick and sometimes start but cant keep it going, and i actualy dont have a battery in it i'm useing a boost on my battery charger to start it and it turns over great is there anything u can think of that i can do. thank u.
I'm a little worried about using a boost charger and no battery. If your CDI is DC powered this could be a big problem. Is your CDI a 5 pin or a 4 pin?

Just for grins try jumping your quad to you car instead of the boost charger. See if there is any change.

With all deference to your uncle, the screwdriver test for checking spark is not the way to go. You can damage the coil and/or the CDI by doing that. Instead, pull out the plug, reconnect it and hold the threads of the plug to the engine. Then look for bright spark across the plug gap while cranking the engine.

You must provide a *small* gap for the spark energy to jump through, because it will jump to ground somehow. You want that "jump to ground" path to be a controlled safe path that breaks down and conducts at a reasonable high voltage. If you don't the spark energy may produce voltages high enough to punch through the ignition coil secondary to ground instead. This forms a carbon path which causes coil failure. Or it may punch through to the ignition coil primary winding and find its way to ground through the CDI, taking out both the coil and CDI at the same time.