1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Mini Hummer no spark

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 07:06 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mini Hummer no spark

I had the bike idling for about 5min and then the thing died. Now i'm unable to get a spark.

Old 02-17-2011, 03:59 PM
Weekend Warrior

Replace the plug with NGK and still no sprark?

Old 02-17-2011, 10:33 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Have you checked all your kill switches? Especially check the handlebar kill switch. Some quads require that you put the kill switch in the center and push it *in* until it goes *click*.

How many pins does your CDI have? 4 or 5?

Does your quad have a remote start/stop module?

What is the history of this quad? New? Used? How long have you had it before this happened?

How did you check for spark? The way to do this is to take out the plug, wire it up, and hold the plug threads up against the engine while cranking and look for spark. Just checking to see if you're using the right procedure...

Old 02-18-2011, 07:05 PM
Weekend Warrior

It's a brand new quad. I had it running for about 5min before the thing died on me. I've checked the kill switch and it only pushes up or down, i've tried both ways with no luck.

The CDI has 4 pins.

As far as testing the plug i've been doing it exactly the way youve mentioned.

I'm kinda pissed off at this thing, was hoping to give it to my son for his birthday next weekend

Old 02-18-2011, 08:01 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by dmand310
It's a brand new quad. I had it running for about 5min before the thing died on me. I've checked the kill switch and it only pushes up or down, i've tried both ways with no luck.

The CDI has 4 pins.

As far as testing the plug i've been doing it exactly the way youve mentioned.

I'm kinda pissed off at this thing, was hoping to give it to my son for his birthday next weekend
go through the wiring and check your connections. some of the chinese brands are notorious for loose wire/connections. anything from the battery terminals, through the starter, around the CDI, etc...quick connects or bolted connections. that'd be a good place to start. i presume it still turns over and cranks, but just won't fire, right?

Old 02-18-2011, 09:23 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yes it will crank over just no spark. I will have a look at all the connectors in the am.

Thanks,

Old 02-18-2011, 11:23 PM
Electrical Expert

Jaster94 is right on as usual. Bad connections are legion on chinese quads. This is exactly what I would start with.

If that doesn't work then try the following:

Is this your CDI?:

Name:  4pinCDI.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  29.7 KB

Assuming this is your CDI then:

1) Unplug the CDI. Measure the following pins with a meter on the wiring harness connector:

2) Ignition off, and all kill switches set to the run position: Measure the resistance of the trigger pin to the ground pin in the wiring harness. What do you measure?

3) Ignition on, and all kill switches set to the 'run' position: Measure the the DC voltage from the 12 volt DC power pin to the ground pin. What do you measure?

Old 02-19-2011, 07:24 PM
Weekend Warrior

The resistance with the trigger & ground pin gives me 1.02.

DC voltage is 14.1V.

Old 02-20-2011, 12:10 AM
Electrical Expert

Uh-oh. Neither of these sounds right.

When the engine is stopped the maximum voltage in the quad is the battery voltage which is 12.6 volts for a fully charged battery - less for a partially discharged battery. You measured 14.1 volts. Are you sure your meter is working? What happens if you measure the voltage right on the battery terminals? It should be 12.6. Hmmm. Did you have a charger hooked up? when you did this test? That might explain the 14.1 volts.

The trigger wire resistance was measured at 1.02. What scale (range) were you using on the meter? Is that 1.02 ohms, 1.02K Ohms (1,020 ohms), or 1.02M Ohms (1,020,000 ohms)? You should see about 150 ohms.

Old 02-20-2011, 04:00 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ok so I've managed to get my hands on a new multimeter.

I'm getting 12.8V "Power & Ground Pin"

Obviously I'm not testing the trigger & ground because I`m getting 1.3Ω. I`ve got the multimeter set on 200Ω

Quick Reply: Mini Hummer no spark