1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Hey, I wonder if someone knows...

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 06:51 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hey, I wonder if someone knows...

I know I'm gonna sound real stupid, but I gotta ask cuz I don't know what to do at this point. Patient - sunl ranma 5 110cc Symtom - Was riding fine until a hose popped off.. off of something . The hose was still connected to the bottom of the carb and spilling gas out while it dangled and seared on the hot engine. As for where the other end goes, I haven't the foggiest.
I put it on what I thought was the inlet at the top of the carb and tried to crank. Gas dripped out from the air filter and it didn't crank. Hope I didn't mess anything up by doing that. Anybody got somethin for me?

Old 03-14-2011, 10:38 PM
Pro Rider

If it's from the bottom of the carb bowl it's simply a drain line and goes to nowhere just hangs! It sounds like you have a stuck float. Pick the atv up from the back grab bar and drop it a few times, may unstick it. If not the bowl will need to be removed to unstick the float. Make sure you shut off the fuel valve before removing the bowl!

Old 03-15-2011, 10:16 AM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Since you had fuel dripping out your air cleaner be sure to check your oil. Pull out your dipstick and smell it to make sure it isn't contaminated with gas. Often on an overflowing carburetor (where gas comes out of the air cleaner), the gas also flows into the cylinder and past the rings into the oil.

You also said it didn't crank. If you meant by that that the starter motor wouldn't turn, then pull out the plug. Crank the engine a couple times to push all the gas puddled in the cylinder out the spark plug hole, then reinsert the plug.

Old 03-17-2011, 08:09 AM
Weekend Warrior

That info was right on the money. I snatched off the carb and used a whole can of cleaner getting grime out of it and spraying through the air filter. The needle was stuck on it from all the dirt I suppose. Cleaned out the gas tank and changed the oil. I just bought it a couple of days ago used and it ran decent when purchased. Now, I gotta say thanks for the advice cause this little thing can really scat.