1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Help Please! Is something wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2011 | 02:47 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default Help Please! Is something wrong?

Bought this quad fairly cheap. Runs great. It's a Kazuma Meerkat. Anyhow, what is the shifting pattern of these things? I did not get a manual or anything with it. I believe it is a 4speed transmission. Does it go down 1,2,3,4? Just one problem. Whenever i shift it just wants to jump without the throttle being pressed and that's just from neutral, and every other gear it does that too. Am i shifting it wrong or what? And i'm actually a tad to big for this but its for my little 8 year old brother and i won't let him ride until i figure out why this thing jumps like it does. Thanks in advance for any info/help.

Old 10-02-2011 | 06:18 PM
Range Rover

The clutch needs adjusting............this is usually roughly the same on most quads that I've ever owned that are clutchless (I mean no clutch handle to pull on the handlebar to change gear). I currently have 2 50cc quads and a 110cc quad. On the side of the engine, there should be a large jamnut outside the case and what looks like a flathead screw shaft inside that jamnut. You need to loosen that jamnut (should be leftly loosy). Make sure to be holding the internal adjustment screw when you break the jamnut loose. Give that screw about a half turn (I believe it's counterclockwise for you case). Tighten the jamnut back up and see how it shifts......you will just have to play with that adjustment until it is to your liking. I would only make half-turn adjustments at a time though so you don't overdue it.

To your other question, on the 3 Chinese quads I have all shift 1,2,3,4 pushing down.

Hope this helps.

Old 10-02-2011 | 09:30 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by raenglehart
The clutch needs adjusting............this is usually roughly the same on most quads that I've ever owned that are clutchless (I mean no clutch handle to pull on the handlebar to change gear). I currently have 2 50cc quads and a 110cc quad. On the side of the engine, there should be a large jamnut outside the case and what looks like a flathead screw shaft inside that jamnut. You need to loosen that jamnut (should be leftly loosy). Make sure to be holding the internal adjustment screw when you break the jamnut loose. Give that screw about a half turn (I believe it's counterclockwise for you case). Tighten the jamnut back up and see how it shifts......you will just have to play with that adjustment until it is to your liking. I would only make half-turn adjustments at a time though so you don't overdue it.

To your other question, on the 3 Chinese quads I have all shift 1,2,3,4 pushing down.

Hope this helps.
One question. where is this jamnut located? Which side of the engine? I'm normally not this big of a blonde with these things lol. Thanks again.

Old 10-02-2011 | 10:39 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!

I have a meerkat 50 owners manual. Actually I have two different manuals labeled Meerkat 50 manuals, but only one says Meercat on the front cover. The other says Redcat 50 but the quad looks very similar. They don't have a lot of service information in them.

I also have two different 110cc quad manuals that look to have the same style engine as yours, with some good basic service instructions such as valve adjustment and how to adjust the clutch. I bet these instructions are also applicable to your quad.

If you want these manuals I can send you all four. They are in PDF format. To get them just send me your email address by private message through this forum, and I'll attach them in a return email from my home email address. I'm guessing all four will be about 10 MBytes in length.

Old 10-03-2011 | 01:12 AM
|
Weekend Warrior

@LynnEdwards. Thanks you are literally my hero right now lol.
I will forward you my email address. Thanks again.

Old 10-03-2011 | 11:17 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!

Manuals sent. Let know if any problems...

Old 10-04-2011 | 06:25 AM
Range Rover

Got 'em Lynn. You sir are a wealth of info. Only one thing............one of the manuals does not allow printing? I've never seen that on a PDF. I've got Adobe Pro at home though (at work at the moment) and will see if I can get around that somehow.

Thanks again for providing those.

@Benntboy: Looking through these it gives pretty good instructions to adjust the clutch (even with nice color photos), so you should be GTG.