1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Hard cranking Tao Tao 110

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 08:04 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That sounds like maybe the case. If I let it sit for awhile then try again, it does seem to act different like it's cooled off.

This morning I tried both with the with and without jumper cables and recorded a video. Another thing to note is that it was leaking oil, but only a little bit. On my way to work I was thinking to check the oil, I'll do that tonight when I get home.

Here are the videos of it trying to start. There was one video in between that I didn't get because I thought I hit the record button. It did start but then instantly shut off without the jumper cables.

This one is without being jumped to my truck.

This one is with jumper cables.

Originally Posted by LynnEdwards
I'm wondering if the engine is seizing up when it gets warm. After it cools does the starter turn the engine once more without having to charge the battery? When the quad starter is warm and won't turn the engine I would also try jumping the quad battery to a car battery (or another quad battery if you have one) and see if the starter spins faster. That would help determine if the battery isn't able to provide enough current, or if the engine is too hard to turn.

Analog meters work fine. You just have to figure out the voltage by looking at the proper scale graduations behind the needle. A digital voltmeter is probably a little easier, and they are fairly inexpensive at $20 for a decent one.

Old 07-07-2012, 02:40 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Hi

Originally Posted by LynnEdwards
The way to check out if your battery is or isn't a problem is to jump your quad battery to your car battery using jumper cables. Do take extra care to get the polarity right when you do this.

Now that you have no shortage of available current (with your car battery helping out), try to crank the starter again. Does it spin at normal speed? Does the quad start? If the starter spins at normal speed when jumped to the car then your battery is bad or discharged. The people at the battery store that tested your battery may or may not know what they are doing. The jump test is more definitive...

Do you have a meter?
I have done the jump test on my Tao tao 250cc atv and it still doesn't turn over fast enough, what do I do? I have checked all connections and they are fine!
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-07-2012, 10:55 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by CorCor82
I have done the jump test on my Tao tao 250cc atv and it still doesn't turn over fast enough, what do I do? I have checked all connections and they are fine!
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Measure the voltage right on the battery terminals while you're cranking the starter motor. What do you measure?

Then repeat this test only measure the battery voltage right on the starter motor itself - red lead on the starter motor input post, black lead on the battery case.

In both cases measure DC volts on the 20 volt scale.

Old 07-11-2012, 03:33 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks! I will be trying it on Friday and will let you know what I come up with

Old 07-14-2012, 03:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

i had this problem with a different engine the valves were out of adjustment so the motor wasnt releasing the compression right therefor making it difficult to spin the motor

Old 11-07-2021, 03:10 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default i think in having the same problen

im having rhe same symptoms but im using a battery cart set to no more rhan 10 amps so i know its not battery im spraying car cleaner in the spark plug hole still no start. check timing adjusted it one tooth it gets good strong conpression valves appear to be rigjt around .004 to .006 weird thing i sprayed some carbe cleaner in timing hole around flywheel and it started turning ove4 faster

Old 11-08-2021, 02:17 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

The starter motor will pull more than 10 amps, that is why it isn't wired through the main fuse. Do the tests and checks above, then get back if you haven't found the fault.