1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Newbie with a mystery machine and electrical problems.

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 05:01 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie with a mystery machine and electrical problems.

Hi everyone nice to meet you. I recently bought a wilderness 250 for 100 bucks on craiglist. The guy said they had put a timberwolf motor in it and had it running for a while and it died they checked fuse but it kept blowing it. I found the problem with that and fixed it. It seems like it is flooding out instantly. Or my spark is not strong enough, it looks very weak to me. My ?? is can you tell what the motor is by the serial number on top??? I think the wilderness is a 05 by the vin.
It is harder finding correct info when you dont know what you got!!!
Thanks for any help you can offer!!!!

Steve

Last edited by mywifesquad; 03-13-2012 at 05:42 PM.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

I seem to have gotten my electrical issues worked out but it does not seem like my spark is real strong.
Everytime i try cranking it , it seems like it floods out instantly. It does try to fire over every 5 sec while cranking. The carburetor is the electric choke model. It is a mess the neddle has a defenant ring, the float is all disentigrated looking, the accelerator pump pours gas out of it if you work the throttle alot. I am thinking about junking this carb and getting the lever choke new replacement.
Has anyone done this?? What should i do with the wires i leave unplugged??
Any help is appreciated!!!!1
Steve

Old 03-13-2012, 07:37 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

What color is the spark?

Old 03-13-2012, 03:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

The spark is blue but it is very thin spark and after it cranks a few seconds you can notice a reduction in the size of spark. Plus it also seems to be a little intermiitant. Missing a few licks. I tested it at the coil (in side)and it is intermitant there also.
Any thoughts???

Old 03-13-2012, 05:44 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!

Other than checking for a short or bad ground Im not going to be much help. I hope you dont mind.. I changed the title of your thread a little to draw LynnEdwards in.. He knows more about electrical stuff than I will ever know. Im very thankful he is here..

Old 03-13-2012, 06:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks

Old 03-13-2012, 11:19 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by tanman34
The spark is blue but it is very thin spark and after it cranks a few seconds you can notice a reduction in the size of spark. Plus it also seems to be a little intermiitant. Missing a few licks. I tested it at the coil (in side)and it is intermitant there also.
Any thoughts???
I did miss this before...

Do you know if your CDI is AC powered, or DC powered? How many wires come out of the stator and what are their colors? Note: If the short stator wire colors coming out of the engine cover don't match the colors in the wiring harness that they plug into - report the wiring harness colors instead of the short pigtail stator wires.

Looking at a spark and determining it is weak is somewhat subjective. Is your starter cranking at normal speeds? The slower the crank the weaker the spark on AC powered CDI's. Missing sparks are due to a lack of trigger signal which also comes from the stator. But all this stuff can be measured with a meter once we find out if your CDI is DC powered or AC powered. The wire colors above may tell us... If not you'll need a meter to do some simple tests. The we can use the DC powered or the AC powered procedure to measure the stator outputs (and other stuff) with the meter.

I'm not sure what you mean by instantly flooding out. That would imply too much fuel, but how do you know this? Do you see fuel coming out and overflow hose (or something like that), or are you just guessing? If it is flooding I would turn off the fuel at the petcock, then crank for a while with a wide open throttle. Does that make any difference?

Try draining the carburetor and keeping the fuel shut off valve closed so there is no possibility of fuel going into the engine. Take out the plug, pour a half teaspoon of gas into the spark plug hole, replace the plug, and crank away. Does the quad start and run a few seconds?

I'm just trying to make sure you are not putting all your effort into the "weak spark" theory without considering all the other possibilities too.

Have you measured your compression?

If you replace the carburetor with a manual choke variety just leave the auto choke wires hanging free. All these wires do is power a heater in the auto choke that heats up a wax plug in synch with the engine warming up, which closes off a fuel enrichening port. Since you won't need to power anything on a manual choke quad these wires can just sit there unused.

Old 03-14-2012, 06:14 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for your response lynn!!!
1- I am not sure what system i have assume ac but will gather info today,
2-Full battery,cranking fast, solid fat spark for the first few licks then noticably skinnyier and eratic looking spark for a few licks then misses a lick then thin then miss. It lookks this way on my test light going into the coil.
Decided to take apart the stator area last night and do some cleaning if needed and to my suprise when I opened the cover oil pors out. All my oil!!
Is this right??? I am a decent mechanic work for a lawn for 20 trs and have fixed everything but a motorcycle or atv. But I have never seen a system that runs in oil. I know there is gears in there but that is just starter gears shouldnt need lubed.
3-flooding- clean and dry everything ,get ready to start , crank for 3 seconds, shut off gas, pull plug, crank for 30 sec. before they air looks dry coming out. I think this is all carb prob. Got new one on the way.
4- compression- tried checking it but my gauge does not fit the hole properly, but with leakage i was getting 80lb

Thanks again

Old 03-14-2012, 09:26 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!

Originally Posted by tanman34
Decided to take apart the stator area last night and do some cleaning if needed and to my suprise when I opened the cover oil pors out. All my oil!!
Is this right??? I am a decent mechanic work for a lawn for 20 trs and have fixed everything but a motorcycle or atv. But I have never seen a system that runs in oil. I know there is gears in there but that is just starter gears shouldnt need lubed.
Since all of it came out your ok.. if it was a little you would have a bad seal..

Old 03-14-2012, 11:01 AM
Weekend Warrior

Are you saying I have a bad seal???

Quick Reply: Newbie with a mystery machine and electrical problems.