1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

DINLI JP502-50 coil?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 04:35 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DINLI JP502-50 coil?

Hi,
I am working on a DINLI JP501-50 atv that has a 49cc 2-stroke engine. The atv is in rough shape and has had all the wiring and switches pretty much by-passed. By that I mean the remote shutoff is gone, and the ignition and tether switch are non-existent. The kill switch and starter button are still there. Anyhow, it has no spark or on occasion a very weak intermittent spark. I got the help manuals or pdf's from the Dinli site and starting checking it out and the readings from the stator were on the low side so i replaced the stator. The readings are the same so I guess it must not be the stator. The readings are also low from the CDI but I assumed that was from the low readings from the stator. I think it has a bad coil but cannot find any specs on the resistance for the coil. The place I ordered the parts from (un-named for now) has advertised "all parts in stock" but I guess they were lying as it's been over 3 weeks and I am still waiting on my coil. I want to order another coil but don't want to but the wrong one. This one has 1 wire hookup and a plig wire and two bolt holes and grounds to the frame. It has a 5 wire CDI with a 2 wire plug and 3 separate wires. It has a 7 coil stator. Are all coils for 2 strokes the same as for 4 strokes if they look the same? Anyone able to help me buy an inexpensive coil that will work with this atv?
Thanks,
schemer

Old 04-24-2012, 01:08 AM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I don't know if a Dinly 2 stroke coil is the same as a 4 stroke coil. I do know from nasty experience that a two stroke CDI has massively different timing from a 4 stroke.

The CDI and the coil are tuned together. It's possible that the 2 and 4 stroke engines are tuned differently, but it is also possible that they are the same. I just don't know. I don't think it would hurt to try. If it works, great. If it doesn't then we're still at square one.

Can you send me a link to the Dinly site troubleshooting guidelines? I'd like to take a look...

Old 04-24-2012, 08:03 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hi LynnEdwards,
Here are all the links with the bottom 2 being the electrical. The top 2 will show parts and other mechanical info. Thanks for you expertise as I normally can figure things out really quick but I guess without parts to test with makes it tougher...
schemer

http://www.dinlisales.com/docs/Dinli...s%20Manual.pdf

http://www.dinlisales.com/docs/Dinli...e%20Manual.pdf

http://www.dinlisales.com/docs/ELECT%20DOC.pdf

http://www.dinlisales.com/docs/Dinli...em%20Tests.pdf

Old 04-24-2012, 08:25 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Justin at maximumRPM.com may be able to help.

Old 04-28-2012, 08:01 AM
Weekend Warrior

Well I got a new coil and cdi and am going to try them this morning...wish me luck.
schemer

Old 04-28-2012, 10:33 AM
Weekend Warrior

Well, the POS does not start although the new CDI made it spark. The old coil appears to spark better than the new one. I bought a high performance CDI off of ebay after getting a DOA one online at an atv parts house. I have already replaced the fuel with fresh. The compression is at 120 although it bounces a little on the way to that reading but it always goes to 120 psi. I am wondering if that is enough? What is the correct gap for the trigger on the stator? I set it to .020 as it was at .030 and I thought it may help. One thing I noticed is that the carb doesn't appear to suck in with a lot of vacuum as I would expect. Could reed valves be the problem or is it time to pull the head and cylinder and see what condition the piston and rings are in?
schemer

Old 04-28-2012, 01:00 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Your piston/rings/comp is fine.
What did Justin have to say about it?
Maybe Hetrick Racing also.
These guys live mini's. Both are well versed with the Dinli's.
BTW...Dinli is/was among many of the fine quality Tiawanese machines.
They are not chinese.
You buying chinese junk for your Tiwanese machine? LOL

Old 04-28-2012, 03:14 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by LT80
Your piston/rings/comp is fine.
What did Justin have to say about it?
Maybe Hetrick Racing also.
These guys live mini's. Both are well versed with the Dinli's.
BTW...Dinli is/was among many of the fine quality Tiawanese machines.
They are not chinese.
You buying chinese junk for your Tiwanese machine? LOL
I fixed it. Still a few more little things to go but it's running. I never got a hold of the Justin guy.
Thanks,
schemer