1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

sunl 110 4 wheeler no fuel?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 07:36 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

update, i just went and tried to start the 4 wheeler, damn thing started and headed for the hills. throttle was wide open. after it shut off it wouldnt start again, battery got weak. charged it for a lil bit then it started again wide open, this time rear tires were off the ground. so now that it start, i gotta figure out how to get it from starting wide open and how to get the kill switch to work again. but i think im makin progress.

Old 05-28-2012, 08:16 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

check the slide operation, make sure it is down. check the throttle cable to make sure it ain't in a bind and staying wide open. lastly, double check the position of the idle screw. i can't imagine it being the culprit. usually it is a stuck slide or sticking cable.

Old 05-28-2012, 09:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

What is the slide? is that the black plastic cylinder at the end of the throttle cable that goes into the top of the carb? The throttle cable did seem to be binding but i think i have that under control now. Just not sure what the slide is that you are referring to. Also thank you for your time and advice i do appreciate it.

Old 05-28-2012, 11:38 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

yes, some are black and some are metal. you are correct. double check the spring operation. the slide is the actuating piece that is inside the top of the carb that's connected to the throttle cable. it slides up and down based on coil/recoil of throttle cable and the internal spring. slides usually have two slots. upper and lower. make sure the slots are oriented so the slide goes all of the way down. if it doesn't and it is "backwards", then it'll stay open and have extra air/fuel coming in and cause a high rev situation. please check it out.

here you can see the slide is in the down position. (see it inside the carb?)

Old 05-29-2012, 06:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

ok i had the carb together wrong, thank you for the picture it helped. so now i tried starting it and the damn battery was low. but i did get it to sputter. it has a brand new battery in it and it just doesnt seem to keep a good charge, or it just drains fast. are these like lawn mowrs, when the starters get old and worn they create extra draw on battery??

Old 05-29-2012, 09:06 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

once we get it running, then we'll start troubleshooting the charging system. after the battery charges up, check the voltage with a multimeter/ohm meter. keep the leads on the terminals while cranking and read those voltage readings, once the quad has started up, what's the voltage there at idle? then rev up the quad to about 1/2 throttle, what's the voltage reading now? this'll tell us what kind of draw the starter has and if the stator is charging the battery adequately.

Old 05-29-2012, 09:54 PM
Weekend Warrior

great news it runs now. as i said earlier, i drained the old gas and put in fresh 97 octane with some fuel treatment. well after it sputtered a lil today i drained some fuel from the bowl on the garage floor and dropped a match on it. only about half of it actually burned. drained the new tank of gas, swished around some fuel treatment in there then added new gas. it started up and i was able to adjust the carb so it idles and runs ok. tomorrow i will check more with the electrical system and let you know what i have, again thank you Jaster94 i appreciate your hel.\

Old 05-30-2012, 07:52 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

again you are welcome. that's what this forum is for! for sharing knowledge and information to educate folks about their quads and get'em going again so a bunch of fun can be had. now, if your electrical readings and battery drain continues on your quad, post a new thread and label it something to the effect of "SunL 110cc battery doesn't charge" or whatever the problem may be that you find. That way the real electrical experts will see the post and chime in. like Lynn.
and i'm glad i could help!