1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Bare Bones Charging

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 08:20 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bare Bones Charging

I have a 110 taotao atv that is wired just so it runs. My question is how does the battery charge. From what I have read the charging voltage comes off the voltage regulator. Do i simply tap into one of the wires coming out of the regulator and run it back to the positive on the battery to get it to charge? If so which one and what should the voltage be? Does it need to be fused?
I got it used and some of the wiring had already been hacked into. I have it back running but there is no way the battery can be charged the way it is wired ****bare bones****. I am going to wire some more accessories into it later like lights and horn using the switches on the switch housings on the handlebars but It needs to be running and charging first.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:54 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

cruise through the chinese section and look for wiring diagrams. LynnEdwards has many of them posted here on the forum. the stator is like an alternator but does a couple of other things too. i read a lot of Lynn's posts so to educate myself even more. sorry i don't have an immediate answer, but the information is out there. we'll just have to find it until Lynn or another expert chimes in.

Old 07-23-2012, 10:13 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks. I've been reading a lot of the posts from other members but I've not been able to find the same scenario my atv has.

Old 07-29-2012, 10:33 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by MakeARunMike
I have a 110 taotao atv that is wired just so it runs. My question is how does the battery charge. From what I have read the charging voltage comes off the voltage regulator. Do i simply tap into one of the wires coming out of the regulator and run it back to the positive on the battery to get it to charge? If so which one and what should the voltage be? Does it need to be fused?....
There are battery charging coils inside the stator and magnets inside the flywheel. When the magnets spin past the stationary coils of wire an AC voltage is generated that varies with engine speed. This AC voltage goes to the voltage regulator where it is rectified into DC voltage, then regulated to 13.5 to 14.5 volts DC to keep the battery charged. So all you need is a good stator and regulator, and have good wiring inbetween them (and to the battery) and the battery will keep charged (unless the charging system is overloaded with too much added stuff like banks of headlights or something like that).

The battery absolutely *must* be fused. But this is because the battery can put out enough current to light fires instantly. The regulator output that charges the battery should connect to the battery through the fuse, but we're not fusing the regulator -it cannot source enough power to start a fire on its own. Instead we're fusing the battery, which could start a fire on its own.

Originally Posted by MakeARunMike
..I got it used and some of the wiring had already been hacked into. I have it back running but there is no way the battery can be charged the way it is wired *bare bones*.....

DO you have a voltage regulator installed? How many pins and what are the colors? Have many wires come out of the stator? What are the wire colors in the wiring harness that hook up to the stator wires?