1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Tao tao 125d won't move

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2012 | 04:59 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default Tao tao 125d won't move

My son has a Tao Tao 125D, just over a year old.

He has been riding trouble free the last couple weeks, but last night when he went to ride it starts but will not move in either forward or reverse?

I searched forum but haven't relly found this specific problem. Could be clutch but seems strange to fail completely so suddenly.

I have been following the maintenance sched posted by isovapor2112 here:
http://forums.atvconnection.com/chin...ml#post3046969

I changed the engine oil a couple weeks ago and it is full now. Is this il common to clutch or is it a dry set-up? I have not seen anything anywhere about checking or changing trans/clutch oil?

I am out of town so can't check anything right now...just looking for some suggestions.

Thanks

Old 08-02-2012 | 05:53 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

now i've never worked on one of these taotaos, so bear with me.....i just looked at one on the web on taotao's website. looks like an automatic/CVT set up. is that right? if so, is the belt broken? have you checked the shifting forks? how about the rod linkages from the shifter handle down to the tranny/gearbox? did it sound like it was engaging in gear? could the brakes be locked up preventing movement? just a few thoughts and once again, i am sorry if these are shots in the dark as i know not about your quad, i have never even seen one of these in person. just the other brands.

Old 08-03-2012 | 06:11 AM
|
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for replying

It's chain drive and from what I've read it's a clutch set-up but I could be wrong. It has a gear selector for F/N/R so I'll be checking that and the brakes as well. I'm just going off reports from the wife at the moment so we'll see what's up when I get a chance to look at it. I thought someone here might have had the same trouble....

Old 08-03-2012 | 07:53 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

Turns out it was a stripped drive sprocket on the output shaft

Old 08-04-2012 | 07:45 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

bonus! quick, easy, cheap fix!

Old 06-20-2015 | 06:24 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have the same probably now but I don't know anything about atvs

Old 06-20-2015 | 06:42 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

What's it doin as opposed to not doin? Please elaborate

Old 06-20-2015 | 06:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

It will start but won't shift in to forward neutral and reverse only had it for 4 weeks I change the oil and all that but still won't do anything but start

Old 06-21-2015 | 12:16 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Bear with me, I haven't worked on a taotao in at least 3 yrs (since I had one), automatic/cvt right? If so, did you trace out the shifter linkage & make sure it is intact & working? I currently have a hensim that wouldn't shift but the fix was the linkage not actuating adequately so I adjusted the linkages now all works great

Old 06-21-2015 | 09:37 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Stormer43
It will start but won't shift in to forward neutral and reverse only had it for 4 weeks I change the oil and all that but still won't do anything but start
Like what was suggested for the OP and if this is a CVT. There is a belt under a cover (opposite side of chain). Maybe 6 screws or bolts holding it down, this houses the belt, clutch as well as rollers.

The Tao website doesn't help much as far as pics as it only shows the different colors this model comes in.

ATA-125D - TAOTAO USA INC

Quick Reply: Tao tao 125d won't move