1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Spark Issue, Need Help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 11:54 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

My comments in blue:

Originally Posted by austinbest
So i retested the working kazuma to ensure i was doing it right and the numbers all where in range of yours, which also made me realize i was testing the wrong wires on the peace (looking at the plug backwards) [You aren't the first. I should probably add a comment to the generic procedure that warns that the CDI pins in the picture are mirror imaged from the wiring harness connector when looking into the wiring harness side pins]

NEW NUMBERS

Remove kill wire and try to start = FAIL
Unplug CDI
- Kill to ground = 01.00 OHM [This is wrong, wrong, wrong . But because your other quad is working with the same measured values I suspect your doing this test incorrectly. You must have *all* kill switches set to the *run* position. That includes the ignition switch, the tether cord pull switch, the left handlebar kill switch, and the transistor switch in the remote control module. You may not have all of these installed on your quad.

One ohm to ground on the kill switch pin in the wiring harness will kill spark, absolutely, 100% of the time. We need to concentrate here to determine if this is a real problem, or a measurement error...]
- AC ignition to ground = 543 OHM [This reading is reasonably possible, and the 57.2 volts AC measured below nails it. This is good.]
- Timing trigger to ground = 136.3 OHM [This sounds reasonable too.]
- AC ignition to ground while cranking = 57.2 VAC [Definately this is good.]
- Timing trigger to ground while cranking = 0.188 VAC [A little low but reasonable.]
- Ignition to ground = 1.1 OHM [Reasonable]

Plugged in CDI
- Ignition coil to ground while cranking = 0.02 VAC [CDI is bad, or it's not getting triggered (which would be true if your kill switch pin is really 1 ohm to ground looking into the wiring harness).]
- AC ignition to ground while cranking = 0.08 VAC [This is completely wrong. Verify this again, and compare it to your working quad. And make sure your kill switches are all in the run position.]

With the CDI unplugged, everything checked fine, when plugged in it still did not check out correctly on the ignition coil wire. Held steady at 0.02 VAC

Old 09-25-2012, 12:04 AM
Electrical Expert

This is helpful data. I'm going to comment in blue again...

Originally Posted by austinbest
On a side note, all of the numbers where pretty consistent with the working ATV.

Kill to ground
Kazuma (Working) - 1.0
Peace (Broken) - 1.0
[This is wrong. Your working kazuma *cannot* be producing spark with the kill switch pin on the CDI shorted to ground through 1 ohm. We need to get to the bottom of this. ]

AC ignition to ground
Kazuma (Working) - 357 Ohm
Peace (Broken) - 543 Ohm
[OK]

Timing trigger to ground
Kazuma (Working) - 126.1 OHM
Peace (Broken) - 136.3 OHM
[OK]

AC ignition to ground
Kazuma (Working) - 46.7 VAC
Peace (Broken) - 57.2 VAC
[Excellent - no question that you AC Ignition power wires are working]

Timing trigger to ground
Kazuma (Working) - .218 VAC
Peace (Broken) - .188 VAC
[Both a little low, but this is meter dependant. The fact that one works and one doesn't, and the two readings are similar suggests that this is working.]

Ignition to ground
Kazuma (Working) - 1.0 OHM
Peace (Broken) - 1.1 OHM
[OK]

Ignition to ground (CDI plugged in)
Kazuma (Working) - Sparatic
Peace (Broken) - 0.02
[Kazuma - measuring as expected.
Peace - not getting triggered, or a bad CDI, or the kill switch pin has 1 ohm to ground. We're back to looking at the bad kill switch data above.... We need to solve that discrepancy...]

Old 09-26-2012, 05:54 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got it. Retested the working one until i got the right reading, then worked on the other one. It was the pullcord in the back. Wires had a short somewhere. Unhooked it completely, started right up.

Old 09-27-2012, 12:37 AM
Electrical Expert

Cool, I'm glad it's working.