1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Anyone have a Kazuma Cougar 250? Need a wiring question answered.

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 05:51 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone have a Kazuma Cougar 250? Need a wiring question answered.

So I've been troubleshooting the ignition on my 2002 Kazuma Cougar 250 and came across something I'm really unsure of...The 2 pin plug on the cdi module appears to have the wires in the wrong places according to any CDI module pinout I have been able to locate (thanks LynnEdwards for the diagrams).
My CDI wiring harness has the stator power wire next to the coil output on the 4 pin connector, and the kill switch wire next to the ground wires on the 4 pin plug. the plug doesnt fit the other way, so if they are wrong, someone put them like that. I don't know the history of the machine, does anyone have a Cougar 250 they can look at their harness and help me out?
As always, Thanks in advance.

Old 10-03-2012, 05:48 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I don't know anything about this quad, but here are a couple links that may prove useful:

http://forums.atvconnection.com/chinese-quads-ask-expert/346475-kazuma-250cc-cougar-spark-ignition-issue.html

http://forums.atvconnection.com/chinese-quads/340145-lifan-250cc-dinosaur.html

In the latter link if you scroll down far enough there is a hand drawn wiring diagram by "Resourcefull" on July 1, 2012 showing his ZEI 250cc twin cyllinder engine is wired up. Yours is likely the same. It is different than the single output 6 pin CDI wiring, and different than the wiring you describe.

The wiring diagram may be a bit hard to follow unless you keep this in mind:

1) The CDI dual coil drive outputs (upper left) go to unlabeled connectors. The mating plugs to those connectors are shown on the right edge about 1/4 the way down the page. The connectors go to the two ignition coils.

2) The stator timing/trigger wire goes to another unlabled connector over on the right hand side (brn and grn wires). The CDI trigger input go to an unlabled connector at the top of the page (brn/wht and grn/wht). Those two connectors plug together.

Old 10-03-2012, 10:27 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your reply LynnEdwards. I used your troubleshooting guide from another post and found an open ground for the trigger pulse generator in a 2 wire plug in the wiring harness. I've repaired that and am now able to see spark at both ignition coils. I connected the plugs and gave a shot of starting fluid to the throat of the carb, but was still unable to get the engine to fire ( the carb and tank are dry) Am I correct in thinking that I should get a few fires out of it with a shot of ether, or should I fill the tank and float bowl before assuming I still have a problem?
Thanks for your help.