1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

1997 Linhai 260 ATV Timing chain marks

Old 10-13-2012, 04:08 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 Linhai 260 ATV Timing chain marks

I'm trying to align the camshaft timing and can't find marks on the crank shaft.. Where and how do I line up the crank case with top dead center. The problem is I can't find any lower marks on the crank case. Please help! Thank you.

Old 10-14-2012, 08:25 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

If Top Dead Center position of the cranshaft is what you're looking for, then perhaps you need to use the ignition timing marks which includes the TDC and fire positions. Most quads have an access plug that can be removed from the engine side cover so that timing marks can be seen. Or take the whole side cover off.

Old 06-23-2013, 11:45 AM
Weekend Warrior

can u tell me what the timing mark looks like on the flywheel ? im trying to set timing on my 260 linhai

Old 12-07-2018, 08:52 AM
Weekend Warrior

Look on the right side cover that covers your stator, the is a access bolt its a 10ml allan cap, take the bolt out, use a sharp light and look into the hole, ask someone to turn the motor slowly anticlock while you look for the following marks.
there will be an arrow pointing to the case, just above the arrow you will find on single line and above that one there is a double line.

you want to position your crank so that the pointer on the case lines up with the single line in the hole.

when this is done take out your spark plug and put a long star point screw driver down the spark plug hole. you will be able to feel were the piston is in the sleeve. it shoul be at the very top of the sleeve.

next go to the left side of the engine and remove the cam chain cover, this is two 8ml bolts. it also.has a pipe on going to the air cleaner.

remove this cover and inspect were it is, it has a streight line on the sprocket that must face to the front of the motor, you will see a mark or a moulding on the sprockets casing. If these marks dont match, unbolt the chain tensioner and remove it, unbolt the sprocket with a 16ml socket. now ajust the sprocket until the two marks match up. install everything back to the way it came of. BEFORE that check if your crank is still on the mark you left it at.

oppen the top and bottor valve covers and measure the gap between die follower and the valve. using a feeler guage. top is intake and should be 0.012 bottom is exaust and should be 0.015

Dont turn your cam around while the chain is of.