1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

2006 Sun helpl 150 atv oil help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 06:43 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 2006 Sun helpl 150 atv oil help!!!

Hello!

Im new here but im having a major problem with a quad i bought.

i recently bought a 2006 sunl 150 atv, it was in bad condition but i go it back to going for my kids. i have never own a chinese quad before and im kind of confused....

i changed the oil on it and and i took out both drian plugs one was normal and one... HAS a spring and a ball??????!!!!

what did i do? i dont know what the plug with the spring and the ball one is? and if its different oil i dont know where to fill it. i dont know how much oil it takes , i didnt get a manual with this atv.

PLEASE HELP!!

thank you so much!!!

Old 11-12-2012, 08:23 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default sunl cam chain tens.

scratch what i posted before!

i found out the other plug is a cam chain tensioner.

guess what i really need to know is since i took that out can i just put the plug back in with the spring and ball the way it came out with out taking the cover case off and tearing apart the motor? i havent started the motor and the rod didnt come out. just wondering if it would be safe to do so or HAVE TO take the cover case off??? kicking myself for taking that plug out!!! dont want to ruin it just because i took it out!

thanks!!

Old 11-12-2012, 11:42 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Is this a 110cc engine? E22 style?

I've never owed a 110cc quad, so I've only read about the "cam chain tensioner" mistake that must have been done by thousands of people by now.

I've never heard the spring and "ball" description. Usually it is a spring and "rod", and you say the "rod" part never came out. Tha't good because that means you can't put it back in backwards if it is still in there.

So I guess my questions are:

1) Is this a 150cc quad or the generic E22 style 110cc quad? I've never heard of a 150cc E22 engine.
2) What is the ball thing? Do you have pictures (or links to pictures) of this thing?
3) Since you posted with updated info you must have found a link that convinced you this is a cam chain tensioner. Did that link have specific pictures that 100% agree with what you are seeing on your quad?

Old 11-13-2012, 10:42 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the reply!

I'll get pics on here as soon as I get home.
This quad is. 150 cc. Made by Sunl in 2006
The link wasn't exact but was close I will get pics ASAP and until I find out I'm not starting the quad. The plug is in front of the drain plug and its 15mm and it is hollow on the.middle and inside it sits a spring and a ball bearing came out with it. Hope some of this helps describe it. I'll get pics on about 5:00 central time. Thanks so much!!!!!!!

Old 11-13-2012, 06:26 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default plug

i have the pics now. i looked in the hole and there is a trough that the ball sits in so i think im safe and im pretty sure its a GY6 motor 150cc.

Postimage.org / 150 quad

Old 11-14-2012, 07:47 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default plug

anyone think im safe? still havent started it. i know its a weird thing and i cant find anything that says what it is or what it does and no ones had this problem, im guessing im safe all i did was reinstall

Old 11-15-2012, 12:11 AM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I looked at your pic's, and then went out to my GY6 150cc quad. At night my garage is packed to the brim ,and it is difficult to get a thorough peek under the quad with all my other machines in the way (real machine shop stuff - not quads), but I didn't see anything on the bottom of my GY6 engine that resembled the bolt in your picture. Are you sure this is a GY6 engine? Is this bolt on the bottom of the engine? I have only one bolt on the bottom of my GY6 engine - and it has a very wide flange and looks like an obvious oil drain bolt.

Old 11-15-2012, 03:13 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by LynnEdwards
I looked at your pic's, and then went out to my GY6 150cc quad. At night my garage is packed to the brim ,and it is difficult to get a thorough peek under the quad with all my other machines in the way (real machine shop stuff - not quads), but I didn't see anything on the bottom of my GY6 engine that resembled the bolt in your picture. Are you sure this is a GY6 engine? Is this bolt on the bottom of the engine? I have only one bolt on the bottom of my GY6 engine - and it has a very wide flange and looks like an obvious oil drain bolt.
Yea its a gy6 motor and I know what bolt your talking about and ya its a oil drain but this bolt is in the middle. I don't know maybe its weird. Thanks for your help I guess ill try starting it up and see what happens . All else fails I can take it apart if something happens. I have 8 year of factory kawasaki wtb assembly and repair so it cant he too bad.

Thanks for all the help!