1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Quad keeps locking up

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2015, 11:28 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quad keeps locking up

So I have 2003 Redcat 150 MPX. This thing had been running fine. Today I run it up my driveway and up the road 100 feet turn around and come back. I park it and go in to eat dinner. Come back out and the garage smells like fuel big time!! I go to start the quad and it won't turn over. So I try to kick start it and it is locked up. So I pull the spark plug and kick start it a couple times and fuel is spraying out everywhere. I hit the electric start and it continues to spray out. I put the plug back in and it won't start but does crank now. So I change the plug out for a new one figuring it was fouled out. After a couple try it fires up and i run it the route I did before. I park it and leave it for a few and come back about a half hour later and the same deal has happened again. It is locked up. The cylinder is full of fuel. There is fuel leaking from underneath where the exhaust bolts up as well. I pulled the carb and pulled it apart and everything is clean and everything moves like it should as far as I can see. The float moves up down etc.... So why is this happening?? Please any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!!

Old 03-16-2015, 06:46 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 49 Likes on 48 Posts

Im gonna guess this doesnt have a petcock? And you cant turn the fuel off? If this is the case its either the needle has worn some and is letting furl past it or the float is set a little high and letting fuel past it.

Old 03-16-2015, 08:16 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by mywifesquad
Im gonna guess this doesnt have a petcock? And you cant turn the fuel off? If this is the case its either the needle has worn some and is letting furl past it or the float is set a little high and letting fuel past it.
No petcock. OK well how do I adjust the float on this thing? And what needle are you referring to? the one that had the big rubber diaphragm and plastic looking tube attached to it? sorry but im not super savvy with these carbs yet.

Old 03-16-2015, 08:32 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Most likely the needle valve in the carb is worn\not sealing. This can allow fuel to flow into the cylinder like stated above and locks it up. It could be float level or even a sticky float. A buddy had an old Yamaha mini that had some varnish in the carb causing a similar issue. Cleaning up that varnish freed up the floats and fixed the issues.

Old 03-16-2015, 10:09 AM
Trailblazer

OK Ive had the carb apart and cleaned it and its still doing it. What needle is it that you guys keep referring to? is it the one that has the black rubber diaphragm attached to it and spring or is it the mixture screw etc? I've also attached a link. if I cant fix it would this kit do the trick?

Carb Repair Kit - Carburetors - 150cc GY6 4-stroke - PartsForScooters.com Store

Old 03-16-2015, 03:02 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!

Yes. In your link, the part you may need to replace is the lowest piece inside the oring /gasket. If that is the proper kit for your carb I would buy it for $15.00. I have paid 7 or 8 for just the one part.

Old 03-16-2015, 04:56 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks Scooter86. So is there any way to adjust the float height? This thing does have a petcock but it was never hooked up. So I went ahead and hooked the line off the fuel tank to it and put a line on the other side and open it and fuel comes out. I closed it and it doesnt close off tight. fuel drips out of it. so that doesnt do much good either after I figure out why its flooding the cylinder after you shut the bike off for 20 minutes.

Old 03-16-2015, 09:51 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!

Usually you have to bend the tab that float valve sits on. This alters when the float pushes that valve closed. There is usually a drain on the bottom of the float bowl. You put a piece of clear hose on that while it is opened, bend it in a u shape with the open side of the hose above the top of the bowl. This will let you roughly measure the fuel height in the bowl. The most likely issue is that float valve. The rubber gets hard and warn over time and doesn't seal. Dig around, that petcock should he rebuild able or replaceable as well. Probably pretty cheap as well.

Old 03-18-2015, 06:51 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Ethanol.
Get yourself a inline on/off valve at autozone so you can shut the fuel off 100%.
When you shut the machine down shut the fuel off and let the motor run a minute.
I bet this fixxes your flooding problem.

Old 03-18-2015, 06:26 PM
Trailblazer

I ended up throwing a fuel filter in line and I used the petcock that was already on the bike. The problem seems to have gone away now. I changed the oil as well. It smelled of gas really bad. Thanks to everyone that helped

So another issue im having now is sometimes when you run this thing up the road when you let off the throttle you can hear this loud screeching noise. At first I thought it was the chain hitting the metal guard up by the forwrd and reverse lever but its not that. Its coming from inside the case where the kick starter is. It doesnt do it all the time but it seems to do it more so after its warmed up. Any ideas as to what that is? Does this thing take any other kind of fluid like for the auto trans on it? If so where does it go and what do I use?