1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

New guy with a new toy and a problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2016, 07:20 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New guy with a new toy and a problem

Hello all. I recently purchased a used ATA 110F ATV and I'm having an issue that I can't seem to fix.
The kids and I were riding around on this thing for two days with no issues. I hit the kill switch on the key fob to shut it down and now it will not turn back on.
The rear lights do not illuminate when the hand brake lever is squeezed in and locked. What I did notice is that the battery voltage will go from 13 to 0 when that hand brake is depressed so there is something drawing off the battery. The battery is brand new. Hitting any of the buttons on the remote will also causes the voltage to drop to 0.
I've done a basic visual check of the wiring and see nothing wrong. The bracket holding the warning speaker is broken so the speaker itself is just hanging there but I can't see that causing my issues. I've also tried jiggling the wiring around while the hand brake is depressed to see if I can get the rear lights to illuminate but that was useless.

I was told by the previous owner that once the rear lights light up, the engine will be ready to start either through the remote or the switch on the handlebars. I have no working lights on the entire ATV

Help me out here folks. My wife is giving me the eye!

http://youtu.be/QTzIZUDKXQY

Old 07-20-2016, 04:23 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 326 Likes on 318 Posts

A short big enough to pull all battery power would set the wiring loom on fire, so either the battery is flat or you have a bad connection between where you are putting the test leads and the battery, this includes if you are testing at the connectors on top of the battery.

Old 07-20-2016, 06:25 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by merryman
A short big enough to pull all battery power would set the wiring loom on fire, so either the battery is flat or you have a bad connection between where you are putting the test leads and the battery, this includes if you are testing at the connectors on top of the battery.
Would shutting the atv down with the remote while in motion cause a short somewhere? It worked just fine until I remotely shut it down.

What keeps the battery maintained? Is there a simple charging system built into the atv?

Old 07-20-2016, 07:36 AM
Weekend Warrior

I just went out to the garage to check battery voltage again. Reads 12.89. I took it out and put it on my charger to measure it's voltage percentage and it was 100% charged. Put it back in the ATV and all is good now. Depressing the hand brake illuminates the lights and she starts right up.
So, I no longer have a problem but I do not know how it fixed itself simply from disconnecting the battery.

Is there some type of computer circuit board in these things?

Old 07-21-2016, 02:45 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 326 Likes on 318 Posts

The battery connections were your problem, they can appear to be fine but are not connecting properly, that is why I wrote "you have a bad connection between where you are putting the test leads and the battery, this includes if you are testing at the connectors on top of the battery."

Old 07-24-2016, 12:47 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thank you for the help. Kids and I played with it yesterday for a while and had no issues, except for wanting to stall out after idling for a few seconds. Thats my next project after I change the oil and plug today,.