1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Timing light

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2017, 12:28 PM
Old Fart
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing light

I connected my trusty ignition timing light to my taotao110cc and it blinks so fast, its useless. It back fires and will not start, so I removed the spark plug, and the flywheel 'inspection cap', and hit the starter button to check the timing. Lots of spark at the loose spark plug, but the timing light appears to flash every few degrees of rotation. Looks like a disco-dance-strobe !

The timing light works fine on my points-equipped bikes. How do I check the 'lectronik' timing ?
Engine model# TZH152FMH w/elec-starter

Last edited by IronTom; 10-02-2017 at 01:58 PM. Reason: model#
Old 10-03-2017, 03:17 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

Forget it, the timing "trigger coil" picks up a signal from the flywheel every revolution, so should show the ignition timing mark (if it has one), but the only way the ignition timing can be out is if the flywheel was loose, so it would still show the mark as correct. If you can, check the TDC mark is aligned with the piston at TDC by a light or plunger down the plug hole. If that is OK, check valve timing mark on cam is also showing TDC, in case the valve timing has slipped. A faulty CDI could, in theory, throw the ignition timing out, but usually CDIs work right or not at all.

Old 10-03-2017, 04:06 PM
Old Fart
Default Timing light -page2

Thanks for the info. I suppose we need an electronics enjuneer to explain why the timing light "strobes" !
The piston is at TDC (both valves are closed) and the flywheel T mark points skyward.
Checking the cam; the peculiar 'odd hole' points to 8 o'clock, the sprocket mark points to the top of the cylinder at 10 o'clock. Good compression. Muffler & carb removed.
I moved the cam chain ahead one link. No change. Back two links. No change.
Any suggestions are welcomed and appreciated.

??? Cannot reply to my own post ???

Old 10-04-2017, 03:14 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

Not done a E22 Honda clone engine since Christmas, but I don't recognise your valve timing description, have you checked the on-line videos of how it should be?

If that valve timing is OK and you are sure the carb is "right", all I can suggest is substitution on the electrics, I go for plug, then coil, then CDI then stator/trigger coil, as this is cheapest and easiest to get at first, though it is more likely to be a CDI or trigger coil problem. Check the CDI's earth lead is earthed before substitution.

Old 10-05-2017, 04:49 PM
Old Fart
Default end of story

Without my hearing, home-made videos are useless to me. None that I saw were this same model. None are setup the same way. No two were alike. No 'shop' manuals are available for this engine.
I give up. I have three of these junkers.
Another day wasted to dis-assemble and compare all three junkers. Guess what... other than being painted black, none were the same. I have a fourth machine that runs, so I used it as my test bed, swapping electrics, carbs, even mufflers. Nothing was gained, except I now have boxes of junker spare parts. The poorly-built frames, cheap plastic, dry rotted rubber, leaky hydraulics, bent rims, etc. All that into the trash.

No big loss other than a ruined starter battery from over-charging. The junkers were donated by a friend??? who moved away and left me his garage full of 'good stuff'.
End of story.

BTW: Who in the world named these things "E22 Honda clone" ?
Since there were no real clones available, I checked with R2D2 and C3P0...
...they are reviewing the videos for further information.

Old 10-05-2017, 08:22 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Now that's funny!