1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Stator problems?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 06:18 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stator problems?

How do you remove a stator? Once removed, how do you test it? Would a bad stator have anything to do with not producing a spark at the spark plug? I have a 110 cc ATV that is getting no spark. I've tried new CDI, New Battery, New spark plug to no avail.

Help!

Old 09-03-2009, 11:51 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Others are having the same problem. Check out this link:

http://forums.atvconnection.com/chin...get-spark.html

Kill switch problems are the most common cause of no spark. Follow all the links in the link above to find an article on kill switch testing.

Yes, the stator can cause a no spark problem. It's much less common than wiring issues. The way you test the stator is to measure its output while you spin the flywheel rapidly around the stator. Do the best way to do this is to leave it on the engine and measure it externally with a meter while turning the flywheel (via the engine crankshaft) with the starter motor.

Old 09-04-2009, 08:54 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Stator problems?

I have already tried the other link you posted. That's why I'm onto the stator. I'm beginning to really hate chinese food!!

Old 09-05-2009, 12:43 AM
Electrical Expert

To measure the stator, first disconnect the CDI from the wiring harness. Then on the CDI harness connector, use a meter to measure the voltage of the AC Igntion Power pin to ground while cranking the engine. It should read around 80 volts AC at cranking speeds.

Measure the Ignition Trigger pin the same way. The voltage here will be much lower at around 0.2 to 0.5 volt AC. But you should measure something.

Another set of related tests: Measure the resistance (in ohms) of the same two pins to engine ground with the engine stopped. This is measuring the continuity of the power and trigger windings in the stator, as well as the harness interconnect wiring. My stator is about 440 ohms to ground for the ignition power winding, and 140 ohms for the trigger winding. Yours is a different stator but I expect they would be in the same ball park.

This is most likely what your CDI looks like:

Old 12-29-2009, 11:29 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by tmacdonald
I have already tried the other link you posted. That's why I'm onto the stator. I'm beginning to really hate chinese food!!
the food is good but the Chinese machine is very cheap stuff ! specialy the the electronnic system and some mecanical stuff ! the price is cheap but you get what you pay for ! after 8 to 12 months you get problems !

Old 12-30-2009, 12:13 AM
Electrical Expert

Originally Posted by needleone45
the food is good but the Chinese machine is very cheap stuff ! specialy the the electronnic system and some mecanical stuff ! the price is cheap but you get what you pay for ! after 8 to 12 months you get problems !
You're welcome to your opinion. I respect it. But for me, my experience with chinese quads has been a good one. There is *no way* I would have ever got into riding quads were it not for cheap chinese imports.

Would I ever buy a brand new name brand quad? No, it is way too expensive. Would I buy a used name brand quad (as opposed to a new chinese quad), maybe - it depends on the price, having a clear title, and green versus red sticker (I live in California).

After two years and a little more than 1500 miles my chinese quad is running great. My neighbors chinese quad has the same miles (we ride together) and is running great too. We've had problems, all minor in my opinion, but I have no problem fixing things myself. I help others to do the same. If you don't like (or can't) do mechanical/electrical repairs then don't buy a chinese quad. Spend big bucks to buy something that you can spend even more big bucks to have someone else fix.

Its a free country. Choose wisely.