1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Tao Tao 110cc Dirt Bike No Spark

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2019, 03:39 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tao Tao 110cc Dirt Bike No Spark

So I purchased a new 110 from Amazon for my grandson. It’s kick start automatic 4 speed. Besides tightening bolts up and changing the spark plug to a NGK the bike has been tuning great.
Here is the issue. My daughter was riding the bike and it just stop running after about 30 minutes of run time. She called me and I came over pulled the plug and seen it has no spark. I have yet to check anything so I’m asking where would be a good spot to start. Is there any certain part that seems to fail after about a month or so?

Thanks in Advance
Bill

Old 12-09-2019, 03:26 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 306 Likes on 300 Posts

Try a new plug, probably not the problem, but easy and cheap to swap. Read the sticky at the top of this page on stator testing. You can't test the CDI itself, so you test the stator, and the other wires going to the CDI. If they all test out OK but there isn't an output from the CDI, the CDI must be faulty.

Old 12-14-2019, 10:28 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by merryman
Try a new plug, probably not the problem, but easy and cheap to swap. Read the sticky at the top of this page on stator testing. You can't test the CDI itself, so you test the stator, and the other wires going to the CDI. If they all test out OK but there isn't an output from the CDI, the CDI must be faulty.
I’m not much on having the right tools and never use a meter gauge. I replaced the coil and CDI and still no spark. To off the Kill Switch and see it has 2 wires. Closed is off and open is on. Would there be any problem in there? It does not have a remote or tether kill switch system. Should I go ahead and replace the stator.

Yes I’m a parts replacer when it comes to electrical lol

Old 12-15-2019, 03:48 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 306 Likes on 300 Posts

With Chinese replacement parts you are wasting your time going down the substitution road, as you may well be fitting faulty new parts and end up with two faults instead of one. Also, if the CDI earth wire isn't grounded properly, it will blow every new CDI you fit, so you must ensure the wires to the CDI are testing out correctly before fitting a new CDI, and you need a meter for that. This should also tell you if the stator is working properly