3) General Discussions.. No problems but would like to discuss your Chinese quad experiences post in here.. You can also post in here why you hate your Chinese quad..

Tao 125cc. Oil change problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 09:39 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tao 125cc. Oil change problem

I have a 125cc Tao and today was our first oil change. By mistake, we unscrewed the wrong bolt (the smaller one under the engine) and a spring and some sort of piston came out with force and fell into the oil pan, along with a bit of oil. Doh! Now, the problem is, we don't know in which order to put them back in since everything came out too fast.

In another thread, someone mentioned this could be the cam tensionner.

How do I put everything back in?

Is it: 1) piston 2) spring 3) bolt or 1) spring 2) piston 3) bolt?

Also, is there in importance which end of the piston goes in first? It seems to fit in both ways...

Finally, is the bit oil that came out of this hole a problem or is it just part of the overall engine oil which we'll refill as part of the regular oil change (using the right bolt this time!)?

Thanks!

Old 08-04-2011, 09:40 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Welcome to the forum stripe!

Pretty sure its piston..spring..bolt.. Are the ends of the piston the same? oil that leaked is part of engine oil..

Old 08-04-2011, 02:28 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you for the greeting. Great forum!

The metallic piston has what looks like a rubber cap on one end, and the other end has a bit of a semi hollow base (which looks to me like it would fit the end of that spring.

I used your recommendation and inserted the piston (rubber cap end first), then the spring and then screwed in the bolt. I added oil (about 800ml) and fired her up. It looked and sounded normal. I engaged first gear and drove forward 10 feet slowly, then same with reverse. All seems normal.

I hope this is how it's supposed to fit

Thanks

Old 08-05-2011, 08:33 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Sounds like its working right to me..

Old 06-15-2016, 11:47 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Old topic same prob

I just did the same thing except the piston didnt fall it slid out. From what I seen it was the rubber cap end that spring fit into and the bolt had rounded end with no threads to fit spring. I hope I didnt put mine in backwards you obviously had good results with the way you put it in.

Old 05-29-2017, 09:17 PM
Weekend Warrior

rubber cap goes in first.

Old 03-26-2020, 08:28 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Oil spring and bolt

So I though I saw mine shoot out the other way so I put the spring in then the bolt. Now the spring is in the engine and I can not see it!? Any ideas on an easy way to remove the spring?

Old 03-27-2020, 03:29 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

Wire hook, small enough to go into the spring, catch a coil and pull. If that doesn't work a major strip down could be needed

Old 03-30-2020, 10:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by atriest
So I though I saw mine shoot out the other way so I put the spring in then the bolt. Now the spring is in the engine and I can not see it!? Any ideas on an easy way to remove the spring?
So I did the same thing on the first oil change. I did not see the spring either so I started taking the hole engen apart and was able to see the spring from the right side of the engen and i pushed it back down some and the pulled it back out the bottom. Good luck

Old 11-25-2023, 09:11 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default 2018 125cc

Did the same thing. Put the spring back into. However, moved over to the other bolt, 17mm to change the oil and it hits the frame before it comes all the way out. Anyone else having this issue? To change engine oil, should I siphon oil out. Seems like a dumb design.

Quick Reply: Tao 125cc. Oil change problem