3) General Discussions.. No problems but would like to discuss your Chinese quad experiences post in here.. You can also post in here why you hate your Chinese quad..

lem starting seems resolved, now not moving

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2015, 02:14 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lem starting seems resolved, now not moving

This machine run extremely well; easy start and really moving out when it ceased to move. Engine running fine; chain intact but no motion. Not knowing how this machine is driven, I am not sure what to think. I assume there is some sort of clutch system that when the gas is applied, it makes contact and drives the atv forward. If that is the case, there is no contact now. Tthe engine purrs but no drive. I will be driving you all crazy with these problems. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Old 08-16-2015, 08:56 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Google clutch adjustment the procedure is the same for most of them. Also if you did a oil change did you use a wet clutch safe oil?

Old 08-16-2015, 09:48 AM
Trailblazer

I hadn't got around to changing the oil so I will do that. I used a product recommend call a sol dominator 2 stroke oil. For the gas, I mixed a 50:1 ratio. I am assuming this can be used in the crankcase as well.

I will google th clutch adjustment. Wish me luck and thanks.

Old 08-16-2015, 11:38 AM
Trailblazer
Default clutc adjusting

Seems simple enough to adjust from a google search. Unfortunately, the LEM ATV does not seem to have the common locknut and screw that most machines have. Maybe the crankcase cover needs to be removed and the adjustment scew could be under there but that seems to be a complicated way to do it. I also looked on the left side but could see nothing there either

Old 08-17-2015, 04:51 AM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dont use 2 stroke oil in gearbox !!! Most use 15w30

Old 08-17-2015, 04:58 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

Many small Quads don't have a conventional clutch, they use either a lawnmower style centrifugal clutch or a Variator which can be used as a speed dependent clutch as well as gear change mechanism, if designed to do so. Neither of these are adjustable for slip, so no adjusters, which are only fitted to bikes with manual gearboxes, (some new Honda autos excepted).

Old 08-17-2015, 07:38 AM
Trailblazer

I assume then the clutch will need to be replaced. Sounds like fun.

Old 08-21-2015, 06:48 PM
Trailblazer

I just opened the gear box. There are two shoes for the clutch. They look pretty rough. Strange thing that I do not understand. There were two links that looked like part of the chain that drives the atv. Why would they be in the gear box?

The basket holding the clutch was slightly rough on the e,dge. Understanding since the links were floating around.

The small gear bolt held to the clutch will need to be removed and then the clutch needs to pulled. I will have to get a puller.

Old 08-21-2015, 08:55 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Links came from the clutch shoes probably.They had a habit of throwing them and sometimes eating up clutch drums. The clutch shoe pressure adjusts by adding/removing concave spring washers behind the small bolt in the center of each clutch shoe.If I remember correctly there's around 12-14 washers on each shoe. The clutch/gear nut has reverse threads so be careful. Best to down load one of the links to the engine service manual if you haven't done so and it can help on clutch adjusting. Had to do plenty of these on the first year model Ktm youth 50s that used the Lem engines.Also we used a thin 10wt racing clutch oil for these clutches and most need to be changed after about 10-15 hrs of operation. Doesn't hold but about 7 ounces,but can can get pretty black and nasty if really run hard.