Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

What size trailor?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2004, 12:20 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What size trailor?

Has anyone had a problem with pulling an atv trailor that is 8'+ wide.

The question I'm trying to decide is if I should buy 8x12 rear load or 6x12 side load?

I only need to be able to haul 2 quads and a motorcycle.

Opnions?

Thanks,

Roman

Old 04-18-2004, 02:01 AM
Pro Rider

Check out the photos in my gallery and you can see my trailer. It's a 12 footer x 77" wide from inside rail to inside rail. Outside of the wheel wells are pretty close to 8'. This one is a single 3500# axle but it has brakes.

Old 04-18-2004, 08:40 PM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My trailer is right at the legal limit of 102" wide and doesn't give me any problems - other then the obvious precautions in making turns and changing lanes etc. But - I haul trailers all the time.

Why not get a typical 12' or 14' trailer - they usually run about 6'-4" wide inside the rails. That's wide enough and long enough for two quads and two motorcycles. The whole trailer will be a little under 8' wide at the wheel wells.

Jaybee

Old 04-18-2004, 09:22 PM
Pro Rider

I'll add....

What KIND of Quads are you talking about trailering. If it's Utility quads like my 2 Polaris', that'll cause a bit of head scratchin' to make 'em fit. With stock tires they'll drop right between the rails but the question is, how do you get them there? Drop down side rails is a great set up if the trailer is designed that way otherwise it would require some fabrication and strengthening to cut those side rails. That's why I did what I did on mine, the upper deck, so I gained a lot of storage space underneath.

Old 04-18-2004, 09:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the replys

I haven't got any quads yet, so I'm really just thinking about those skinny roads to where I ride. I guess I was just wondering if the 8 footer's were a real problem on those roads.

Old 04-18-2004, 11:49 PM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I drive "skinny" roads to several of my riding areas. I've never had my 20-foot-long-4-ton truck and 25-foot-long, 8-1/2 foot wide trailer cause *me* any problems on those 'skinny" roads.

I do get the impression however, that many of those who top a hill or round a curve on a "skinny" country road to encounter my rig coming at them leave the event of our passing needing a new set of underware. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Jaybee

Old 04-19-2004, 10:54 AM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

Well it depends on how comfortable you will feel with a trailer sticking out on each side of your truck by about a foot or so. I have an open snowmobile trailer that is 102 wide, by 10 ft long. I can put two very wide utility quads on it side by side and still have room for a dirt bike or two... The problem I have is that I have to be really conscious of what I am doing when driving down the road. The trailer sometimes like to cheat a little on the inside of the corners, and that can get you in trouble if you are passing a pedestrian or a mailbox that some idiot put right on the edge of the pavement. You have to concentrate on keeping the vehicle in the center of the lane as well.

The longer the trailer is, the more stable it will probably be when going down the road... but it also makes it a little harder to back up and turn around with. Aluminum trailers are also lighter, so you can tow then easier... and they do not rust. If you look around, you can find several that have side load capability built right into them. If that is what you want, that would by far be the easiest way to go, although if you can combine the purchase with something else in mind, let's say hauling a car... you might be able to justify the costs of a larger trailer.

Lastly, what ever you buy, get brakes on it if they are offered. You can quickly out power your tow vehicles ability to stop safely by throwing a couple thousand pounds of trailer and ATV's behind it and then tearing down the road at 70 miles an hour. I learned that one the hard way... I pulled a double covered snowmobile trailer with 3 race bikes and gear behind a pinto.... Yeah I know, what a moron... I got crossed up and spun around backwards into a ditch trying to miss a dog once... it wasn't pretty....killed the dog too....Needles to say, I bought a truck designed to pull a trailer after that...

Old 04-23-2004, 09:01 PM
Pro Rider

For the price of a single axle rear load 12' utility , here in oklahoma its 695 $ But i went with the 16' x 83" inside rails , tandom axle (7000lb) with rear loading ramps, brand new for 1020 $ Just the trailer alone with no ramps are 795 $ . Might take a look at this option. I can get 4 quads, 2- 650 prairie's 1- V force, 1- yamaha kodiak 400 on it .