CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

More Power

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2004, 11:38 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More Power

Ive got a stock 02 baja and i want to get it more power. right now i have 200 to spend on it. I really dont know where to start so thats why im asking on here. I think it needs more low end power. It doesnt do wheelies to good, only if you pop the clutch or in first let it start going to to 4-5 rpms then let off the throttle and then punch it. But it seams like it needs more power.

Old 05-27-2004, 12:13 PM
sam
Pro Rider
Default More Power

15t front sprocket $16 rocky mountain atv, mod quad end cap $55 on ebay $100 procom CDI. and you will still have $$$ left over. this will pickup the performance alot. jet to 172.5 main, clip on bottom slot of needle. let her rip!!!
Sam OUT![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 05-27-2004, 12:27 PM
Pro Rider
Default More Power

First thing I would do is get a 17tooth front sprocket and ride it for a while. youll be surprised cuz the DS has plenty of HP to pull those gears without a power upgrade. Next I would get the new CDI. try that in that order........ a new end cap and jet kit would be appropriate but you wouldnt notice as big a bang for your time and money as the sprocket and CDI getting done first.

My 2 cents.... Prozack

Old 05-27-2004, 12:54 PM
Pro Rider
Has been here a long time!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default More Power

Since he is looking for more LOW END power I wouldn't recommend gearing up to a 17t. That is only going to get you more top end. Lower gearing will give the feeling of more power in every gear which is what he is looking for.

For $200 I would go with Sam's recommendation. May also want to consider some stiffer clutch springs ($25).

Old 05-27-2004, 01:03 PM
Pro Rider
Default More Power

i would go along with what sam has suggested, except, i bought the 15 tooth from ron woods. other poeple stated better quality control with his product. a new end cap is also the way to do for starters. the advantage of spending more for the mr.hp. cap is that he has all the specs. for tuning, along with the dyno charts to back it up. this is a simple way to go, unless you are good at tuning a four stroke engine. all the steps are spelled out, in detail, on this web site, just use the search feature.

Old 05-27-2004, 01:07 PM
sam
Pro Rider
Default More Power

the price of CDIs have come down so far from just a year ago and the avalibility is growing this is a very good news[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] the sprocket thing like said depends on what your looking for the 15t will bring the rpms on sooner make it feel quicker the 17t more linner power come on longer. I have not treid the 17 just the 15. I forgot clutch springs this is another very good (inexpencive) upgrade. also put a couple hose clamps around the rubber intake Between the carb and air box this will keep it from vibrating under exceleration.

Old 05-27-2004, 01:25 PM
Pro Rider
Default More Power

i just bought a used 2000 ds. the first thing i did ( cost more than $200 ) was a stage 1 kit from rwr. in the past my first ds really liked the ignition box and pipe, but the carb really brings it all together[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 05-27-2004, 04:01 PM
Pro Rider
Default More Power

I would agree with SAM. Mod end cap, procom cdi, 15t front sprocket, K&N filter, 170 to 172.5 main jet, and cut 4 coils off the carb slide spring. You should be right around $200 and the power response will be amazing compared to stock.

Old 05-27-2004, 06:30 PM
Pro Rider
Default More Power

I keep hearing about the carb slide spring cutting thing...Might be a dumb question, but why do this and what are the benefits?

Old 05-27-2004, 06:45 PM
Pro Rider
Default More Power

Since the slide is operated on vacumm, if you cut off 4 coils off the spring it relieves some of the tension on the slide and lets it come up quicker which results in faster acceleration. It is a huge difference in the low end power feel. My 02 had a hard time doing wheelies until I did the 4 coils, then it would wheelie on demand with no problem.

Quick Reply: More Power