Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Beginner, need advice!

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 12:47 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default which to choose?

Hi all! I was wondering if anyone had much of an opinion regarding atv's. I have to choose between 2007 Yamaha Wolverine 450 or 2007 Can-am 250. Both auto. I like the look of both, but I just want to make the right choice. I'm a small person, so either machine would not be too small. I ride both mountain terrain and pavement. Recently I rode my husbands CanAm400 and rolled it off the side of the mountain. I think his machine might be a little heavy and too big. Please Help!!

Old 10-05-2006, 07:29 PM
Trailblazer
Default Beginner, need advice!

If weight is your concern then the Wolverine is about 100 lbs lighter than your husbands...I dont have much experience with the can am 250 but by the size of its engine and its weight,it seems like a dog...I would suggest looking for other options or go with the wolverine you can learn on that quad, and then open it up once your more advanced with it.

Old 10-05-2006, 11:01 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why limited to just those two???? Only willing to ride an auto, I am guessing??? If so, I have taught 6 year olds to shift efficiently in a couple of hours, so anybody can do it! A manual trans is so much better, because it gives you more control over the machine. This would open up a whole bunch of machines to chose from, that are way better than these two.

But, the Wolverine has the advantage of selectable 4wd, which might come in handy in an Idaho winter? The machine is a very nice idea (it attempts to be a cross between a sport and utility machine), but comes in to heavy for my taste.........

Old 10-05-2006, 11:38 PM
Range Rover

Lot of folks go from a manual to an auto..........but very few......go from an auto to a manual.

Suggesting that better "control" is a function of a transmission is ridiculous...........but generally speaking, most accidents tend to occur on hillsides........when shifting is occuring.
With autos, smooth power application is much easier.......and being smooth on the controls....brake, throttle and steering.........is the mark of a good rider.

That's just the way it is........

Old 10-06-2006, 04:10 AM
Pro Rider
My Bomb Busa is done now and WOW what a rush this thing is scary fast. I love it

Get a Yamaha Rhino I got one for my wife and she loves it we got it street legal so she can go anywhere she want's to go and believe me those things can pretty much go anywhere.Also she can throw the dogs in the back and they think it is the best thing that ever happened and you have room for a passenger .
Just my two cents.

Old 10-06-2006, 10:09 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just for the record, there are full-on manual transmissions, where the clutch is a lever on your left hand. This is what you will find on the higher end sport quads.

There is another type of manual called an "autoclutch". When you pull up or push down on the shift lever, it engages the clutch and when you let go, this engages the gear. It is a real simple system, and a good place to start for a beginner. Lots of great entry level machines come with these.

Hollywood-I will try to find and post an article called "The Dumbing Down of the Sport", which deals with the automatic transmission issue...........

Old 10-06-2006, 10:26 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 167 Likes on 166 Posts

The wife just got a ds 250. To me, it seems a little underpowered, but then she isn't racing or running it wide open most of the time, just puttin' along the trails. The advantage it will have over the Wolvy is it will steer easier. A better comparison to the Wolvy would be a Scrambler.

They can choose from a full auto, to semi auto to manual. I say let them choose whatever will keep them riding. Sure, I would have liked to seen the wife choose the TRX 250, but if she doesn't like to ride it, it would just be a waste of money.

Old 10-07-2006, 02:17 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks a whole bunch!!! Yesturday was my birthday so my husband and I went down and pickup my DS-250. I'm going to actually ride it today, woooooo hoooo. Maybe I'm too old for my age, but I feel more comfortable with an auto to start out. I did test a honda that did have the shifting buttons by the left handle grip, I would have liked to have that one, but every single honda at the dealership would not start and if it did, it wouldn't stay running. I'm a big honda fan, but when that happened I got scared. I sure am glad I didn't go for the Polaris because compared to the ds250, the polaris I would have just been mad at after a while (not enough power). I guess I'll just wait and see if this is the machine for me and if it's not I'll pass that thing down to my daughter. Thanks again for your input, much appreciated. Erika

Old 10-07-2006, 06:59 PM
Pro Rider

Sorry I got in on this late, but my wife really loves the Hawkeye I got for her. She's 5'3" and 130 lbs.

Old 10-07-2006, 08:36 PM
Pro Rider

Ignore Reconranger, he has a problem with utility and automatic quads. Some people are stuck in the stone age and think you are a wussy or less then technical rider if you ride an automatic. Plain and simple, for a beginner it is EASIER and SAFER. I've taken a few lady friends out riding and if I didn't have an auto. they simply would not bother riding.

I stalled my DS on a pretty steep grade, let me tell you, trying to take off WITHOUT flipping over backwards was quite an experience, for a minute I didn't think I'd make it. I had to ride the clutch AND brake to get over the hump and regain momentum. In an automatic(well first I prob. wouldn't stall it) I'd just have to punch the throttle.

Quick Reply: Beginner, need advice!