Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

newer atv for dissabled person

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 11:04 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newer atv for dissabled person

Hello i have a dissibility with my feet and i am going to get anouther atv it must be auto and 4x4 outher then that i am open to idea's what would everybudy else buy i like to trale ride thear is alought of mud and rock's [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 05-07-2007, 02:06 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also consider the Honda's with ES, electronic shifting. A button activated selenoid does the shifting for you. I am no big fan of this system, but in your case it makes sense.

The Honda Ranchers and Foreman have manual transmissions that are available with ES. Otherwise, you are stuck on one of the automatics. I have a new Rancher 420, and it is a better quad than I had ever hoped for!

Old 05-08-2007, 09:59 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

Also consider the Honda's with ES, electronic shifting. A button activated selenoid does the shifting for you. I am no big fan of this system, but in your case it makes sense.
OUTRAGEOUS!!!!!!! You recomend a system to a dissablied person that in your words: "I have been on a "buyer beware" campaign for many years." Then you don't talk about any problems of this system???!!! I have heard of "brand loyal" people, but Reconranger, you take it to a new low. That recomendation boader lines on criminal. xplorerman, if you want to know what I'm ranting about, just read the below thread. If you want to read more, just type in "ES problems" or just ES in the search part of this forum. You will get a lot of hits.
About ES quads

xplorerman buy a belt quad and never look back. Just throttle and go. Keep it simple and reliable, that is what you want if you have a dissibility. Forget the fancy electro shift crap.

Buy any belt quad that has been out for many years. Do not buy a new model. There are many good makes to go with.

Old 05-09-2007, 01:36 AM
Trailblazer

It sounds like a bike with a CVT automatic trans, and front and rear hand breaks would fit your needs. Yamaha, Kawasaki, Suzuki, or Arctic Cat all make ATV's that would work. I am biased towards Yamaha, but do some shopping and see which model has the easiest controls for you to use. All these companies make very good bikes and you couldn't go wrong with any of them. Just find the model that is most friendly to your disability and have fun with it.

Old 05-09-2007, 03:08 AM
Weekend Warrior

Even if you were to get a manual shift transmission four wheeler, you could still ride it. Moose Industries makes an add on accessory "suicide shifter" that would enable you to shift with your hand, rather than your foot. Buy the machine you want, and accessorize it to suit your riding abilities.

http://www.mooseutilities.com/produc..._group_id=1770

Old 05-09-2007, 10:22 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Turbo-I would take an ES over any rubber band drive machine or either of the Honda automatics any time! This preson has to compromise because of the disability. While it's not a compromise I would recommend for anybody else, this is an exception......

xplorer-Seeing you have problems with your feet, you are going to want to stay with the smaller, lighter machines! Don't let them talk you into some 800 pound monster that's the size of a small truck........

Old 05-09-2007, 11:46 AM
Pro Rider

A big thanks to everyone for all the help right now i am looking at a 1995 polaris 300 4x4 and a 1997 polaris xplorer 400 4x4 i cant find much info on eather of thease atv's but thay both look good to me thay are both bigger more comfy for me (thay fit my size)6'4"215 pounds thank's again for all the help i will let everyone know what i choose also just wanted to say that this site is awsom(i cant spell to good)

Old 05-10-2007, 01:38 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

Just one more piece of advice xplorerman.
Whatever brand you pick, make sure you have a good dealer near you. This is SUPER important!!!
Also, you might do a search on this site for the quad you are thinking about getting. I know nothing about the explorer 400 so I don't know if it has problems or not. If you do a search, someone on here will. This way you can get a feel of how good they are.

Good luck with what ever brand you pick. Get out in the woods and have fun. After all, that's what it's all about.