Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2005 Polaris 500 ATP

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 01:05 PM
HCT
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Polaris 500 ATP Electric start doesnt work

I am looking at buying this machine but it has a problem the key ignition will not start it guy says the battery is good but you can start it with the pull rope very easy any idea what cause this I also noticed the head light does not come on don't know if the problem is related or not

Last edited by HCT; 08-03-2017 at 01:06 PM. Reason: Electric start doesnt work
Old 08-03-2017, 01:53 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

2005 models had the ecm module problem. That could be why you can't start it with the electric starter.OR the starter could be out. You can pull start one,but IF the ecm is faulty,it could cut power to the dash,electric starter,lights,fan,charging system,etc. All the circuit breakers and a lot of controls are in this one box. There was a recall that changed the black Chinese modules to the silver US made modules but these can and have failed also. If it still has the black Chinese one,it can be replaced free of charge. http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Recalls/2008/...o-Fire-Hazard/ If it's already been changed,the next one is on the owner. If the machine runs good,looks good,been taken care of,a faulty ecm or starter isn't necessarily a deal breaker imo.2004-2006 POLARIS Sportsman 450 500 Scrambler OEM Surepower ECM PDM 2203348 | eBay Here's what Kbb shows. You can use it as a basic guide to deal with the owner if you're interested in it.https://www.kbb.com/motorcycles/pola...-500-4x4/2005/

Just saw it was the Atp you're looking at and it used a different more expensive ecm IF that's the problem.http://www.partzilla.com/parts/detai...P-2203130.html That you may want to deal a little closer on with the owner. Make him aware that you know possibly what could be the problem and how much money it could take to repair.. Good luck on whether you decide to pursue this one or walk away.. Plus the Atp 500 showed the same on value as the Sportsman 500.

Last edited by old polaris tech; 08-03-2017 at 01:59 PM. Reason: ATP ecm...
Old 08-03-2017, 05:40 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does it crank over with the key ?

Does the instrument cluster light up ?

Have you checked the headlight bulbs?

Old 08-04-2017, 09:21 AM
HCT
Weekend Warrior

no I have no checked the Head Light bulb yes the instrument cluster does light up when key is in the on position. Will it hurt to run the machine temporarily with an ECM being out and is there any way to test this ECM to assure that is the problem before spending that kind of money. The machine only has 185 hrs on it and has been kept in a garage its entire life. I realize I need to check the battery and terminals first but I figured after pull starting it the head light would work. The Current owner did mention that he had issues with the ignition switch when he was using it not wanting to start every time could this be tied into all this issues. How is the best way to check this items for faults?

Old 08-04-2017, 10:14 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

With the key on IF you're getting power to the dash then at least one function of the ecm is working and maybe all it's functions. The problem again could be a faulty ignition switch,starter solenoid,starter or simply a dead or discharged battery causing all of the above. Switches,solenoids and even starters are cheap if needed also. You can check the charging function of the ecm by just checking battery voltage at an idle after you pull start it. Should be 14+ volts in most cases if the ecm is working correctly.

Old 08-04-2017, 10:36 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I doubt your ecm is bad , sounds more like starter / solenoid / battery problem and a headlight bulb or switch .

Old 08-16-2017, 09:56 PM
HCT
Weekend Warrior
Default Polsrid atp 500 won't stay running

Ok I got it home remember we pull started it and it ran two weeks ago. I have cleaned fuel tank and lines cause it was starving for fuel put fresh fuel in it put jumper cables on it and it started right up with the key everything seems to be working just fine. When I go to take jumper cables off it dies and everything goes dead. Is it just the battery or is there another possible issue ? I assume it would be just like a car after jumping it off if the charging system is operating correctly it would run even with a bad battery. And yes I know the battery is bad.

Old 08-17-2017, 09:38 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Look at your other post on this..