Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

New 2000 Kodiac

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-1999, 02:36 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The new Kodiac seems like it is going to be quite a nice machine. I was wondering if any one has test rode one yet and what did you think of it. Also dose any one know the what the top speed is going to be. I had my eye on a Grizz but i like the options on the Kodiac better. (water-cooled, rear disc brakes, stainless exhaust, 10.5 to 1 comp, and the engine is covered well, ect.)

------------------

Old 07-26-1999, 07:25 PM
Trailblazer

I rode one last week,twice.This is a great machine.It is on the smaller size with ok power. Handles great,ergos are great.I really enjoyed riding it.Top speed..i don't know there was no speedo on it.Turns on a dime.The dealer wanted $6200,which is $200 over retail.I bought a Grizzly with 27 in Blackwaters, cause i am rather large and haul lots of crap on the trail.That being said i must say that the Kodiak is the best 4x4 i've ever been on.Sportier than the Wolverine or a Scrambler.

Old 07-31-1999, 01:22 PM
Trailblazer

I just bought one 3 days ago and it is awsome!! I have went through oone tand of gas and it just seems to keep running better and better. I sold a polaris 250 to get this and it definatly out performs my old 2 stroke. The handling is great and I'm notsure of the top speed as I'm not opening it up to much till it is broke in but it seems to move right along. Wish it had a speedo but everything else about it makes up for it. My son ordered a new Warrior and I was afraid the old man would always be eating dust on a 4x4 but I am confident that he wont get to far away from me. I went riding with some buddies who have 400 explorers and I was worried they would eat me up but the Kodiak was tremendous. For a 4 stroke it really goes and has all the power most people will ever need. The Low is real nice and shifting is simple. I shoped around alot and took all the advise given to me but was a little skepticle as the machine is all new but I know I made the right choice.I was going to go with the great Griz but wasent sure I would need all that much of a machine and the Kodiak fit the bill wth flying colors. Very nimble.

Old 07-31-1999, 01:50 PM
Trailblazer

I just bought one, it is incedible!!

Old 08-06-1999, 04:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

Funny you should mention the Polaris Xplorer. Right now I'm trying to make a choice between that and the Kodiak. How did you match up against the Xplorers? Does the Polaris "true 4wd" really make that much difference? I like the Kodiak just because there is so much less maintenance and the 4-stroke is such a plus, now the big but: How much performance do you loose with the 400 4-stroke compared to the 400 2-stroke. I can't beleive they are equal, but how close are they. I've ridden both, but never side by side. The Xplorer will pull the front off the ground with just a little snap of the throttle, didn't notice it so much on the Kodiak.

I've got a deal cooking on the Kodiak for $5500 and $70 for warn winch, plus tax. Does that sound about right?

Deal onthe Xplorer is $5100 and winch is $450, plus tax.

I'd really like to find out the top speed, I know the Xplorer is around 60. Any guesses?

My brother has an Xplorer and will ride me pretty hard if I can't keep up with him, or I'm stuck all the time.

------------------

Old 08-06-1999, 05:55 PM
Trailblazer

If you have a deal cooking on a Kodiak for
$5500 and $79 for the winch I would say you
have on heck of a Deal. I paid 5725 out the
door with the winch. I would jump on it! I
don't think the Kodiak will loft the front end up because the engine is tilted forward
45 degrees putting more weight towards the
front but lowering overall center of gravity
and seat height. The Kodiak will get really
light in the front in low range haven't tried
it in high range yet. Be careful if you try and pull start it it's a $%*@ pain. Pull it just past the compression and give it a good yank. I haven't been able to pull start a bone cold engine fire it up for a couple seconds then it pull starts just fine.

I think the hot setup for me is going to be the Kodiak with a Highlifter locker on the
front, with a winch here I come look out!

Will you be using your four wheeler for Hunting at all?

Muddy_Doug_E
2000 Kodiak, 425 Polaris Magnum, 220 Bayou

Old 08-09-1999, 12:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

That's a better deal than I have. In Minnesota sales tax in 6.5% and the total would come to be $5932.

How does that Highlifter locker work? What does it do to performance, ie turning?

Yes I will be using it for deer hunting 2 weeks every year.

Any idea on top speed yet?

Old 08-09-1999, 02:02 PM
Trailblazer

That is true no sales tax in Oregon!!
Thank you for pointing that out )))

The locker will lock both front wheels while in 4wd so that no matter what both front wheels would spin even if one is in the air.
I would only recommend this to those of us that can chose 4wd rather than being in 4wd all the time. Lockers will make steering noticably harder. My Kodiak will see deer season and elk season the Polaris 425 2wd has already seen one elk and had to work pretty hard. I have a lengthy ride review in the 2000 kodiak owner thread.

Doug E
2000 Kodiak, 425 Polaris, 220 Bayou