Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Does re-jetting really matter?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2003, 05:24 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does re-jetting really matter?

Well i wasnt sure if it would. Lots of people talk about it. So I went and had a better look at mine. The main is a 145 and the needle was on the 5th position. (from the top) So that would be the richest setting. (and my plug is very black) Since i didnt have any mains to try i put the needle on 3. 2 up from where it was. What a difference. I have more power in 3rd gear than i ever did with the new tires. WOT plug test is still a little black, but not like before. Ill check it again when i go for a real ride when the wife gets home. First sun we have had in days and days. Damn winds from the north. I think a pipe will really wake the ole cat up for the summer!

Old 05-17-2003, 05:43 PM
Weekend Warrior

Are you working on your 1998 500 4x4 or a different machine.

Old 05-17-2003, 06:29 PM
Pro Rider

yes the ole beast0r.

Old 05-17-2003, 11:23 PM
Pro Rider

All right went for a run. Heres the Plug. Crappy pic sorry. Also heres a couple new pics of one of my fav spots in fall. Click.

Old 05-18-2003, 12:41 AM
Pro Rider

"If it ain't white, it ain't right!"

"Lean 'er down 'till she squeaks. Rebuild 'er, and jet up one size!"

Ok.....this only works for mountain sleds......... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 05-18-2003, 01:18 AM
Pro Rider

Dew

Get a new plug to do the test. Make sure you run it a long way full throttle going thru every gear. Once in 5th gear let her run a good distance, 1/4 mile or so. Then go home and check it out. What you are looking for is the color of the center core!. It DOES NOT NEED TO BE WHITE WHATSO EVER. Tannish black or greayish is ok. Also you may need to adjust your air fuel pilot if idels is rough. ALso be sure the plug is gapped right I think it is 26-28 gap size, check the manual.

And yes changing a main is always good BUT... the 145 is a lean main not a rich

for example. Since they jetted your main with a 145 they had to go rich on your needle.

Ok now since you riched your needel you more than likely need to richin your main.

Going from a 5 to a 3 on you needle allows less gas and more air.
Going from a 145 main to a 148 allows less air and more gas

so keep an eye on your PLUG!!! especially if you are going to get a high flow baffled pipe this will allow more air flow as well.

Being in canada the air Im assumeing is less dense. wich means you need to jet to allow for the air denisty. which would be a low numbered main like a 145 or lower. It just depends

Cats when distributed to dealers are jetted for that region. This is why sometimes a person will buy a bike and it sputters and misses and fouls out plugs,cause evry now and then they make a mistake and ship the wrong bike to the wrong region.

I hope i just confused the hell out of you!!!! J/K
Let me know if I can help

Old 05-18-2003, 01:20 AM
Pro Rider

Oh yea,, When are you goign to invite me up there to experience hunting some of those BIG CANADIAN WHITE TAILS!!!

Old 05-18-2003, 10:01 AM
Pro Rider

Cats delivered to Canada don't appear to be jetted any different than those sent to anywhere in the USA. Good dealers such as "Minimotor" on the forums here set up their own quads. Vewdew lives in Nova Scotia, which is near the ocean so his riding elevation probably goes from 0 to 3000 feet. His quad should have come with a 145 or a 150 MJ. . micro fiche 98 Cat 500 Adjusting the needle down a couple of positions will lean out the midrange a bit but shouldn't be harmfull unless he goes so far that power drops off. I'm on the Alberta praries (elev 3500') and ride in the Rocky mountains from 3500 to 6000' elev. My quad came jetted exactly as the micro-fiche says thay all are......and thanks to 3 dealers in my area who all told me that I shouldn't have to jet down, I ignored my best instincts that told me this thing was running like a fat pig, and looked for problems where none existed.

I found from amny years of tuning sleds in the mountains that you can not read a new plug. If you are lean, nothing is built up on the plug to burn off, so you will never see a problem until it's too late. Yes, I know 2 strokes can burn down a bunch quicker than a 4 stroke, but the principal is the same.

PS: the "if it ain't white....." comment is just beer drinkin' BS.......not to be taken literally

PPS: I've been dodging white tails every day in my truck......proabably see 10 to 20 a day where I work!

Old 05-18-2003, 10:21 AM
Pro Rider

COOL, when can I come kill me 1 or 2

Old 05-18-2003, 12:12 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the replys fellas. The main was a 145. Clip on 5, the center of the plug was really black. Moving to 3 gave me better response. I didnt notice a drop up high. The idle is fine. I do seem to be a touch lean on the pilot now tho. Although you cant keep this quad pinned for long periods (1/4 mile is ok) or it will take out the transfer case gasket everytime. I heard from the megamax guy, he will sell me the muffler for 110US, so im getting it monday. I will have to get a couple dif mains then anyhow.

CK: Ya we are near sea level. Never usually over 800 ft here. You come up here anytime. Bow starts 2 weeks before rifles. Those US dollars go a long way here hehe.

Quick Reply: Does re-jetting really matter?