Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

First major problem! Anyone else have this problem?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2003, 10:59 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First major problem! Anyone else have this problem?

Yesterday my buddy tried to cross what we call "the pit". It is an old irrigation ditch. VERY DEEP and MUDDY! I tried once to no success but he had his new blackwaters on so he thought that he could do it. After gettin stuck the first time he tried again and that is where things went wrong. First he was going to fast and hit his face on his front rack (ouch), then after an hour of my other friend trying to winch him out we decided to try both mine and his together. We started pulling and after about 20 seconds I heard CRUNCH!! I lost all power to the front wheels and heard a really loud rattling/crunching noise either coming out of one of the boots or maybe the front diff itself. It still works but it makes a loud crunching noise and is really hard to steer. Any ideas what it might be! I am taking it my dealer tomorrow but I was just wondering if anyone has had this problem in the past!?! I was very impressed with the amount of power before it broke though, i was in reverse and my back tires were in the air spinning, pretty cool but a little scary. Any suggestions would be appreciated.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 06-15-2003, 11:06 PM
Pro Rider

Sounds like a busted outer CV joint, it will cause the steering to go nuts and the clunky noise most likely too. It should be under warranty if it hasn't run out yet.

Old 06-15-2003, 11:12 PM
Pro Rider

thanks for the quick response, would it be anything with the bearings maybe too? Still under warrenty, actually just picked up another 4 years on it on friday. My dealership is my neighbor so they treat me great.

Old 06-16-2003, 12:06 AM
Pro Rider

I doubt bearings would be damaged unless you rode it alot while it was damaged but even then I doubt it. Its just the outer CV more than likey.

Old 06-17-2003, 01:33 AM
Pro Rider

took my bike to the dealer today, it doesn't look good. He said that at first ride it seems that the problem is inside the front differential. OUCH. I was hoping that it was just a CV joint like you thought it was but it looks like I wasn't that lucky. I had to go to work so I couldn't stick around when he tore it apart but he assured me that the Arctic Cat warrenty will cover it, even after I told him that I was pulling another 4 wheeler out. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 06-20-2003, 03:54 PM
Pro Rider

the verdict on the wheeler is: needs new front differential! The dealer said he had never seen so many pieces, and oil before. Arctic cat is rushing him a new one and will be ready to go monday afternoon. Should get my mud lites on tuesday, can't wait till next week[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]