Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

I think my 650 is finally broken-in

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2004, 04:08 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I think my 650 is finally broken-in

I have almost 200 miles on my 650 now. I was riding around in the back yard in low range and gave it the gas and the front end felt like it wanted to come up. I then slid to the back of the seat just a little, stopped, gave it the gas, and up she came. I rode the wheelie about 25 or 30 yards. Wow! That's the first wheelie I've ridden on a quad where I wasn't really hanging off the back. I think this engine is really starting to find its legs.

I know, I know.....big deal. I'm no daredevil, so to me it is a pretty big rush. I don't intend to do much of that, but its fun to know that it can. One more thing: It was very stable and controlable. I felt like I could ride the wheelie as long as I wanted and it would settle down with ease. I have felt like this machine really gives you a wide comfort zone and lots of warning if the front is going to come up when going up steep hills. I find it to be the most comfortable and predictable machine I've ridden.

Old 03-01-2004, 02:25 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad to hear that. When I had my Stock GY Radials on I could do wheelies with ease but now that I have the heavier GY non-radial Mudrunners on I miss the easy wheelies.These Mudrunners are coming off soon as I am only using the Mudrunners as a Winter tire. I will be trying out the Carlise 25" Badlands XTR Radials mounted on the H/L chrome lite wheels & if I don't like the XTRs then I'll get a set of the Radial Bighorns, I hear these Bighorns Radials are coming out in the 26 & 27 inch size soon. I was able to buy a slightly used set of the Badlands at a good price, so I thought I would try the XTRs out.(The XTRs only have 5 miles on them)
Now that March is here, I hope to get in some more riding & get some more miles on this great Cat LE 650.
In Mid April I will be going to Moab for a 5 day ride trip & the XTRs will be on the Cat.

Old 03-01-2004, 10:05 PM
Pro Rider

5 day trip to Moab? Wow. That's fantasy land for me. Maybe some day. Post some pics when you return and tell us all about it.

Old 03-02-2004, 12:24 AM
Pro Rider

Shall do DanW, I'll post a few here in my Gallery & post about 30 on my Webshot page in Late April.
Cat 650 & Jerico1 are also going to Moab with me & maybe a couple of Grizz 660s (if the Grizz guys shown up ), all three Cat 650s will get a great work out while we are on our Moab ATVenture.
Anyone else want to join us? Our Moab ATVenture dates are 04/14 to 04/19.

Old 03-03-2004, 09:35 PM
Pro Rider

Are you talking about moab ut. if you are I live in ut and have ridden moab many times so if you have any questions let me know.

Old 03-03-2004, 11:23 PM
Range Rover

Yes Markie , Bearcat is talking about Moab, Ut. We have two of the deluxe cabins reserved at Archview Resort & Campground for 5 days in April. You could clue us in on the better trails to take, no beginner trails please, unless their very scenic or have other attractions that we should see. Have you ridden the Pritchet Canyon Trail, or Rock Canyon, how about Poison Spider. Info on these trails would be welcomed.I believe the Kane Creek Trail is fairly close to our cabins, correct me if i'm wrong. The micro brewery in Moab looks like a good place for a couple of beers & a good meal some evening. Anything you can tell us to make our trip to the Moab area one to remember will be appreciated. Stop by our cabins some evening, maybe Bearcat will fix us all one of his "Bearcat Buffalo Burgers". Just look for several 650 Arctic Cats,
more than likely, that'll be us.
Dan W, Make your fantasy trip come true & meet up with us at Moab, yuo'd be welcome.
You only go around once, & you gotta make things happen, or sit around when you're an old man & regret the things you didn't do. At least , think about it. I will be going on to Ariz; after Moab to ride on some of my favorite trails there on BLM land in the high desert country, with old friends who live there. One who may be joining us in Moab. Regards, Jerico1

Old 03-03-2004, 11:35 PM
TRV
Trailblazer

I have been to Moab area several times in Jeeps and when you get there stop at the visitors center and buy the 2 trail maps that cover the whole area. Poison Spider is a favorite trail and you will love it on a ATV. Check out the Dinosaur tracks in the rock on the hillside at the entrance. The stairstepped rocks will be a challenge for ya with those short tires!! Chicken Corners trail out to flashlight rock is fun but long. The rim trail in Canyonlands is fun too. You won't begin to cover all the trails in a week. Be sure to checkout Arches Park but watch out for Rattlesnakes, I almost stepped on one last time I was there.

Old 03-03-2004, 11:49 PM
Pro Rider

Yes I love moab,I like to spend time at kens lake 7 miles south of moab you can camp there on the lake then atv from the lake on a trail called steel bender 13 miles of off cambers and you have to cross a stream to get to it.This trail takes you behined moab and you can look down on it and then you can come back to camp and fish. Have fun if you are going down on easter weekend theres alote of people and its packed everywhere and thats why I never go on easter weekend.

Old 03-05-2004, 01:34 AM
Pro Rider

Markie:
We will be there after Easter Sunday, the following Wed-Monday.
TRV:
Thanks for the input on some of these trails. I have the "guide to Moab,UT 4wheel drive roads" great info on about 50 trails. I was at Moab last August (wrong time to be there) we stopped there on our way out to the Paiute Trails, all we rode was the Hurrah Pass trail & the Chicken Corners Trail but turned around on the Chickens trail due to the extreme HOT temps that day (110). Whew!!! that was a hot ride, those Colddd Beers sure did taste good when we got back to our cold RVs.
DanW:
We sure would like to see you there.

Old 03-05-2004, 10:51 PM
Trailblazer

Markie and guys
It has been interesting reading up on all of you in Moab. My aunt and uncle have been on mt. bikes and I have always wanted to go there. We are now down here in Vegas so it's a little more at our finger tips!!! Markie do you know how far it is from Vegas? One day we'll venture over there. Ya'll that are going are going to have to let us know how it is. I am usually not an envious person, but who wouldn't be with this trip!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Bearcat how did you find your accomodations, online or did you know someone who has been there? I don't have the big mama cat that you guys have, just got mine about a month ago, first one a '01 400 2x4 manual, but I love it. Went from a dirt bike and will never look back. My husband still has a bike, but after riding with some friends in Az, I think in the near future he'll be getting one too[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Always good to hear what's going in the forum. Take care
Marla