Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

EPI Clutch Kit 650

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2004, 11:54 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EPI Clutch Kit 650

I have a 650 mrp and I bought a epi clutch kit. it came with a black secondary spring and new weights. it also came with a red primary spring and a pink primary. any suggestions on which one to use red or pink? I think pink has a lower engagement rpm than the red. I also plan on installing a cdi module but I haven't decided on which one yet. every thing else is stock and I plan on leaving the stock size tires on although I may put on some mudlights or dirt devels. thanks

Old 04-23-2004, 12:52 AM
Trailblazer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Put in the black spring for sure. I have a red spring in and different weights because I am running 28 inch tires. I have heard that if you are planning on staying with stock tires or something close to stock you should go with the pink spring instead of the red one. You dont need the higher rpm at engagement with stock tires. good luck.

Old 04-23-2004, 09:35 PM
Trailblazer

The difference between the red spring and the pink spring is night and day. The red spring has a very high engagement point that makes you feel like your racing the engine all the time. I found it to be fairly annoying. Not only does it have a high engagement point but you need to keep it revved to keep the clutch engaged, and when it does engage it is fairly violent. Not real good for the slower technical stuff. On the other hand, the pink spring has a slightly higher than stock engagement point. It gives you a nice smooth engagement and still provides a signifigant performance increase over the stock clutch. If you want you can even shim the spring slightly for tuning purposes. This will of course raise your engagement rpm but not nearly as high as the red spring. If and when you shim the spring you should only add about 5mm worth of shims max.
I have the EPI pro clutch and trust me the pink spring is the way to go. I installed the red first myself and removed it after about two hours of riding. By the way, This is an awesome mod to pair with the CDI or ICM. It will turn your quad into a wheelie machine.
Wook.

Old 04-24-2004, 02:04 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks guys I think that I am going to go with the pink spring. Also I tripped my belt light at only 85 miles and will be taking it to the shop to be reset. I talked to my dealer about the cause being a loose belt vs a electrical problem. He told me that he talked to someone at AC who was like the RIDDLER but did manage to get out of him that AC was working on the problem and was testing some sort of small black box that will eliminate the voltage problem but would not elaborate any further.