Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Jet Kit and K&N filter kits, are they worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2004, 11:51 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jet Kit and K&N filter kits, are they worth it?

I'd like to get a bit more lower end power on my ATV, would the above help?

Also, any recommendations on exhaust? I dont want my machine to be much louder than stock.

I've got an 04 500 auto

Old 07-05-2004, 02:01 PM
Trailblazer

I have heard both good and bad from users regarding the K&N filter. They do allow greater air flow, but at the same time can allow much more fine dirt to enter. I cant remember which engine manufacturor it was at the moment without checking, But if there was a warranty problem with the engine and K&N filter was used they would not cover it. Seems like some of the filters are OK (let less dirt through) while some are unacceptable at filtering out the smaller particles. Maybe due to the inconsistancy of the cotton gauze material used during filter manufacturing? It stands to reason that if the filter allows a greater air flow due to less restriction then more air borne dirt will also pass. I had one in one of my vehicles and after spending a great deal of time checking out different informational web sites I took it out. Didnt want to chance "sanding" the upper engine. The filter does do a better job as it gets dirtier (larger openings fill with dirt). But then overall air flow decreases. K&N does have a very convincing advertising but so did Slick 50, Prolong, Motor Up. etc..... (slap yourself if you ever THINK about buying those). Just my two cents worth. Have a good one!

Old 07-05-2004, 04:39 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

with a pipe, yes. I don't know how much difference just the jet and filter will do. That guy is correct on the particles entering. It only makes sense if you have a less restricted airflow. But I use the K&N on my Grizzly regardless.

Old 07-05-2004, 10:36 PM
Trailblazer

Jet kits and K&N filters are worth the money. All these people that think K&N filters harm engines have not heard of sealing grease. K&N filters increase performance, but they do not seal against the air box very well. If you believe that the cotton filter element may let particles thru, you can purchase a pre-filter that fits over the filter. These filters do not void warranty. To answer your question Dyno Jet makes a great jet kit, with detailed instructions that are easy to follow. You will notice more bottom end snap with the DJ kit. Black Magic makes a pipe for your machine, but it is very loud.

Old 07-06-2004, 02:15 AM
Pro Rider

I prefer uni two stage foam with an outerwear. Just remember, if you increase the amount of air you let in, you need to increase the amount of air you let out.