Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Tires for Auto Cat

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2000, 06:54 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm trying to wear down my stock Titan 489's on my Auto Cat before I spend money on new tires. I'm having a hard time deciding if I should go with taller tires or not. I'm concerned about loosing power and the center of gravity going up with taller tires. I'd like to know what some of you folks are running on your Auto Cat and what your likes/dislikes are. Right now, I'm thinking of staying with aggresive 25" tires or maybe 26".
Thanks------Gerry.

Old 08-16-2000, 09:09 PM
Pro Rider

Go with atleast 26" Tires. I don't think you will notice any power lose if you only go up 1". I think the 500 motor will not beable to tell the difference at all.

Old 08-16-2000, 09:35 PM
Range Rover

I agree with Boner.I went through the same decisions a few months ago however,I went with Titan 589s of the same stock size with extra wheels so I could change back to the 489s for different riding conditions.
After installing the 589s I see I could have gone up a size with no problem.

Old 08-16-2000, 10:23 PM
Pro Rider

I'm glad vtCatamount asked about this-I too am a little concerned. So, Boner what do you think about 27" on the Auto 'Cat? As far as weight goes, aren't the Mud Bugs the lightest tires on the market in that size? (27x10x12) Or, would it be necessary to switch to aluminum rims to save the weight difference-keeping it as close to stock as possible. But, I've noticed that I managed to dent the inside edge of my rear right rim pretty good. Air is not leaking out, but it's still dented over pretty good. Would aluminum rims even hold up? I don't do a lot of mud riding, mostly trails or making my own trails. I was just thinking of the Mud Bugs because they are supposedly so light. Any thoughts on this matter? Whatever power is lost I would like to gain back without the aid of a pipe, as I would like to keep the big 'Cat purring like a kitten. I'm affraid a pipe would just be too loud, especially during hunting season.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Mike

Old 08-16-2000, 11:48 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I really haven't ever noticed any problems with stability after mounting the 27" claws. It would seem that there would be some, but I can't notice it if there is. I ride in a ton of uneven stuff too, so if it was there, I would see it. Maybe its because the rears are wider than they were before. I'm serious too. Not just making crap up because I'm scared I made a poor choice or anything (you know that some folks here more than likely do that with some things). I can notice that it takes more power to roll the big *******s over, but my top speed on level ground is the same if not a hair higher. The speedometer reads dead on at 52mph with the GPS now, not 56-57 on level ground at top speed like it used to with the 495's.

Heres some choices. If 27"x12" claws will fit my stock rims, then you will have no problem getting anything to fit yours either. Mud Bugs are supposedly quite a bit lighter than the rest. If they are 4lbs lighter, then thats 16lbs. all the way around. If you are worried about center of gravity, then go with some 26" Mud Bugs. The lighter weight and smaller diameter (as opposed to 27") will not take away as much power to turn over. You will gain clearance as well as traction. I would advise to go 11-12 inches wide on the rear. Wider rears are always a good way to go for traction. More rubber on the ground. If you aren't worried as much about the stability, but still don't want the weight, then 27" mud bugs would be the choice. If you don't want to go up any size, then there are several 25" tires to choose from. If I were personally buying 25", then I would go with Spider Tracs. I love that tire for some reason.

Old 08-17-2000, 01:01 AM
Pro Rider

Cowboy,

27" Mud bugs will be fine for the AUTO cat. you will lose a little power, but nothing that will stop you from doing what you did before, just might take alittle longer or alittle mreo throttle, but the pay off in clearance and traction will be WAY more than worth it.

Old 08-17-2000, 01:04 PM
Pro Rider

I agree with Andy, go with wide tires in the rear it will help stabilize. I have 27"x12"x12" in the rear and 27"x10"x12" front and love them. More clearance, better traction totally different machine. I also have spacers in the front, gave me a wider track, (wider is better)HeHe! It really is! Well good luck with your choice.

Trending Topics

Old 08-17-2000, 08:35 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the input. That's pretty much what I was hoping to hear. Of the few times I've been stuck, clearance was the problem. I'm not sure that the inch of added clearance gained from running 27" tires instead of 25's will fix it, but it will definately help I'm sure. I'm pretty sure that the ground clearance is also what caused me to break that large hole in my airbox, thus requiring a new one. I was high centered on a stump that I think with just a little more clearance I could have made it over. Most of the problem is because of all the added weight I carry all the time for recovery if stuck, or just to have in case of emergency use. All that weight drops my ground clearance a bit. I run between 6-7 lbs. of pressure in the stock 489's to help compensate a little, but that still won't make up for the weight difference. Also, a little more clearance in the mud would be nice. I'm fine till I get high centered, then that's all she wrote, time for Mr. Warn to take over.

Thanks again!

Mike

Old 08-17-2000, 11:42 PM
Range Rover

I am runing 26" 495 titans from my 1999 on my 2000 auto cat. Got a flat last weekend and road on the running board for about 5 miles to keep the weight of the flat. I had a 16oz bottle of slime that I put in at the gas station took care of the flat till today. So while I had whe wheel off I thaught "what the hay" and took off all the tires. then took the 28"x12.5x12 outlaws off the 1999 and put them on the auto cat, no liftkit, or spacers or anything. thay cleared the frount shocks by about a inch or so. I took it for a (EZ) spin down the road and back. Belive it or not there was vary little power loss felt. Thay are a little ruff at slow speeds but "Hay its a 4 wheeler" Cant get to crazy with it without a little lift.

scotto
1999 500 Arctic Catzilla
2000 500 auto son of Arctic Catzilla

Old 08-18-2000, 12:18 AM
Pro Rider

Put the outlaws on the Cat-o-matic with ITP Magnums? or stock wheels?

Quick Reply: Tires for Auto Cat