Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Does my belt need tightening?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2004, 11:16 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does my belt need tightening?

Hey Folks,
I just purchased my A.C. about month ago and i really like it. I saw that you guys traded tips on here, and I was hoping you guys could help me out. This is the problem, I just changed my belt, and afterwards, i don't even think that it need it, but anyways, now my bike's top speed is 45 mph. it will not even go 46. I think that my belt may slipping, but I really have no idea. I am new at this and I was hoping that you guys may recognize this problem off the top of your head. FYI: I replaced the belt with a Dayco belt. I think the belt has too much slack in it personally. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 10-22-2004, 10:23 PM
ng
Trailblazer

I wish I knew enough about it to help ya,If it's only going 45 there's got to be a problem.Keep checking the post somebody's bound to help soon.good luck.

Old 10-23-2004, 07:09 PM
Trailblazer

which dayco belt did you put on? I put the HP2018 and my quad slowed down to 45 also. I think my belt was to long also.It ended up shredding so i put the stock belt back on and adjusted the deflection or belt freeplay. I took out one of the shims on the driven clutch. Now it works fine and also goes 60+ again.

Old 10-25-2004, 12:42 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks Guys for your help. I have been reading up a lot and I have gathered that it is probaly best to go ahead and put a clutch kit in my bike. Or some of you call it a spring. I have no idea about that stuff, but I will research it. To answer your question, it was the 2018hp belt that i put on the bike. I don't even know if that was a good one, i found a website where they were 34.99 plus 6.00 shipping. i jumped on it, i thought that was a good price. I did however find out that my bike will go it's normal speed when in high gear, I am ok with it not running over 45 in low; as long as nothing is wrong, i don't want it to be wrong down there,. this belt doesn't even think about slipping, i love it. anyways, thanks for your help. and if you want to contribute any info on shims or clutch kits, i need to study up on that stuff. I am a quick learner, but right now, unfortunately, i am clueless.

Blake