Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Does you Cat spend a lot of time in the Garage? How does it compare?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2004, 07:24 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does you Cat spend a lot of time in the Garage? How does it compare?

Originally posted by: Bear4570
Originally posted by: LimeGreenCat
So pretty much you are telling us they we can't do what you did and we can't have the enjoyment of life becasue you did and know that you are older you relize this and now are calling us stupid for the things you have done in the past. So basically your saying we should not do anything stupid becasue it's all ready been done? what that's your life and not mine. I want to have fun, I live to have fun and not sit at home and lock myself in a closet affraid of getting hurt. You think that you have done it all huh? You have been to war, race boats, raced cars, blah blah blah. Well that's you not us we still all get a thrill out of it and if you don't then that's you not us. So by the way who are you the renissance man? You have done everything in life and stand up to no challenge? By the way I have fast cars I've been 140mph in a car. and guess what still have a lot of living ahead of me and will not turn down fun because of the chance that I might get hurt. I do not endanger my passengers or for that fact anybody out on the road. But I will take risk with myself. Yes I am a kid and for that fact your only a kid once and for people like you are taking the fun out of being a youth. You wonder why there are so many accidents now days and why so many people are getting killed. I will tell you why it is people like you that did what they did when they where young and not let kids like me experience for themselve. Back when my old man was a kid he would race his car on the street and the cops would actually block off traffic but for people like you we now have cops arresting people for spitting on the sidewalk. You have no right to lecture anybody about thier youth while you are claiming to have gone faster than anybody alive and live more dangerously when they where young then anybody. You also say that you have raced cars and gone a hell of alot faster than any of us ever will how do you know. I am 19 years old and I have owned alot of things I can go out tomorrow and by me a car that will go 150mph in the 1/4 mile. So don't go of thinking you are the fastest man alive. I also have a 1976 Duster that will do 110 in the 1/4 and it is pretty much stock. But let me guess you probably race top fuel dragsters right? I guess I should be expecting you at the next craftsmen drag series ay?
The Line comes to mind "The young do not alway do as they are told." What I am trying to do is spare you and others the pain of being crippled in your old age. If that's wrong then, sue me. BTW, I never in my days (and my days included the hay day of American fast cars) heard of a stock Duster that would do 110 in the quarter. Mph is a function of hp and there are no stock or near stock 340s with that kind of hp. Yeah, go by that 150 mph car. Knew a guy just like you. After he wreaked the 120 mph boat he wasn't up to handling he bought altered anglia with a hemi in it. He wasn't up to it either as it killed him. You are't gonna come up with anything new, I couldn't do it to my old man either. All I can say is if youth would learn from others mistakes they would be able to live there lives when and if they get old easier and more comfortable. And don't use me as an example of how to live your life, or you will be suffering if you are lucky enough to live that is.
I feverybody would learn from thier mistakes and not just youth then would this world not be a perfect world. Not just youth make mistakes older people like yourself make bigger mistakes then youth do. More accidents on ATV's happen with older people that think like yorself they have all ready done everything and can do everything so they try something even dumber then imaginable. I will also say that my car is not a 340 it is a 360 and nowhere near stock. Also a 1971 Plymouth Duster with a 340 will run pretty close to 100mph in the 1/4 as with my old 318 in my car I ran 14.76 at 93mph so 110 mph isn't that unrealistic considering new Camaro SS run at about the 110mph range pretty much bone stock. By the way 110mph in the 1/4 is all that much HP about close to 400hp range I don't even think that much if you have the right gears and transmission to back it up.

Old 12-27-2004, 08:21 PM
Trailblazer

You need to bone up on your stats buddy. You are much safer in an airliner that even driving your car. And you are much safer driving your car than on an ATV. Your logic is not supported by fact, there for it is faulty, that's what will get you or other injured or killed. Our society has deemed that your theroy is faulty BTW and has laws in place to screw you big time if you follow it. The trouble with faulty theroies is when it is proven false by a bad accident then the dill rod you used that theroy comes up with a new on, "Can't be my fault I was stupid, must be Arctic Cats" runs out and get a slimeball lawyer and sues AC. Happens all the time, thats why all the stickers and high insurance rates _Your ATV would be about a $1000 less if it was for paying lawyer and insurance). You are one of few who will use common sense, most aren't up to facing reality, in fact they don't have common sense. Common sense isn't common, it has to be learned and some people are real slow learners.

I need to bone up on what??.I never quoted any stats on anything..I dont have actuarial charts at my finger tips.Wait.., why do such charts exist if life doesnt include risk??I just made examples of concious risk being taken by individuals.Yes an airliner is safer than an automobile per mile logged...But 40,000 people are killed each year in auto wrecks.....so what is your point??no risk to flying??Risk isnt a component of everyday life?sure it is.....write to the federal archives and get some inf. on what they consider acceptable risk.....which is why I take issue to BIG BROTHER meddling in the affairs of my life...as if more laws will keep me safer??How about inforcing the ones we have?There is a point of diminishing returns to a laws effect..Look into GUN laws.....Have you actually digested what I have written in the last
few postings?We all know why insurances rates are high.??it isnt the accidents ...as much as it is the legal system enabling everyone to litigate over every accident issue that arrises. Some one gets injured and someone, some how, will be linked and financially blamed...The blame game...(look at earlier posting)The US court systems are so jambed full of legal jargon it is no wonder any manufacturer even bothers....and yes there is probably a grand tacked onto each ATV for the LITIGIOUS factor of the sport.So we agree?You also state that common sense isnt very common??so if it isnt common how can WARNING LABELS get someone down the trail safely on the ATV??Will they have the common sense to read and employ what the warning stated??We are pretty close to agreement here.....so you are hoping that the guy with out the common sense will ride the ATV alone.???maybe that 10 minute tape sent with the ATV will teach safe ATVING........ Lets face it there is simply risk involved with piloting an ATV. What effect keeping 2 people off an ATV has on the # of injuries is not of interest to me.If saving a 4year old is the end game here, it is nobel but Naive, but I champion the thought.No training course will take the screw up out of irresponsible individual.That effort may be better spent taking the ATV student to the local emergency room so a disfiguring injury is logged in his/her mind.Think outside the box....maybe couple that with the training course?......otherwise it is akin to rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. What is of interest to me, is that laws continue to surface impeeding on the freedom of RESPONSIBLE adults.... because of the thoughtless actions of the few who are reckless, and abuse the legal system........ and those who think it is necessary to SAVE us from ourselves,..... thus enabling more legal paper to be created. I reside in NYS and the regulations due to this mind set have infringed on so much of what is good, that it is alarming. Everything we own today has become a potential target for someones misfortune.It is built into our insurance rates , the ripple effect is endless.......where we can ride an atv,a personal water craft,a trip to the Drs. office,a door handle on a minivan,a hot cup of coffee spilled on your lap. where does this all end? The attorneys in this country placate to this insidious way of thinking.It is so damn profitable for them and a self fulfilling$$$$$$rich game .It isnt about 3 people on an ATV , it is about taking responsibility for ones own life and actions. I am all for safety classes,but can you toss in a mini course on being a macro thinker?

Old 12-27-2004, 08:28 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

[quote]
[quote]

I feverybody would learn from thier mistakes and not just youth then would this world not be a perfect world. Not just youth make mistakes older people like yourself make bigger mistakes then youth do. More accidents on ATV's happen with older people that think like yorself they have all ready done everything and can do everything so they try something even dumber then imaginable. I will also say that my car is not a 340 it is a 360 and nowhere near stock. Also a 1971 Plymouth Duster with a 340 will run pretty close to 100mph in the 1/4 as with my old 318 in my car I ran 14.76 at 93mph so 110 mph isn't that unrealistic considering new Camaro SS run at about the 110mph range pretty much bone stock. By the way 110mph in the 1/4 is all that much HP about close to 400hp range I don't even think that much if you have the right gears and transmission to back it up.
First off you premise that the older ones have a higher accident rate than the young is so far off base that there are no stats anywhere to back them up. The ATV stats basicly follow the stats on autombiles. The problem youth has is that they still can't imagine death or even just an accident happening to them, you know the old "I'm young therefore I am perfect and can't make a mistake". That is the main reason the younger age group stats stay high. If you live you learn. Oh yeah, I never have and never will claim to be perfect. But I am still alive and still doing things. BTW, the National record I set was in 1986 and I was 40 years old.

I ran a 428SCJ stock that had 425 flywheel hp on a dyno and 350 hp at the rear wheels with 4.30 gears and all that stocker would do was 101+mph at 6000rpm in the lights, that's with 13.90 ets. The multi-carbed hopped up 428 CJ was dyno'd at 580 hp and ran right at 120 mph, the car carried the front tire for about 2 car lengths, ets were in the 12.70s. Flywheel hp is way different than rear wheel (truely usable) hp. I don't think 400 hp would ever get you 110 mph because gearing changes effect torque and do not effect horsepower. ET is effected by torque and but it takes allot of horsepower for minor mph increases. I also owned a factory 427 Mercury Cyclone that ran 13.80s at 105 mph. I worked on a '70 Camaro with a very modded 350 and 4.88 gears and it only went 12.50s at 115 mph. Again the gears helped et but horsepower limited the mph.

Old 12-28-2004, 02:35 AM
Pro Rider

Actually, the older one gets, the lower the ATV accident rates go down. Using my state as an example:
Under 10 year olds 42%
10-20 24%
21-3012%
31-40 14%
50 3%
60 2%

Machine rollovers account for 40% of accidents
struck a object 18%
Operator thrown from machine 14%
Passenger thrown from machine 4 %
ATV hit ATV 6%
ATV Car hit 6%
Loss of control 5%
Broke through ice 2%
Other 5%

According to the most common national numbers being passed around there were over 110,000 ATV injuries in 2003. So that means about 50,000 roll-over accidents? Maybe they should be built wider? Great - now I'll need another new trailer.

Someone posted thier club had no PAX accidents. Thats a curious statistic. I can think of ... lets see. 1 very serious injury and two fatalities in my own neighborhood over the last 18-24 months - as passengers. And that doesnt count breaking my wifes arm when we went over backwards two years ago today. (now you know why its a issue with me) Wow - now that I think about it - I know of one other PAX accident that involved a ATV hit snowmobile that had Dad carrying 2 kids on the rear rack... We must be really bad here! Either that or your club is really good!

Old 12-28-2004, 02:57 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

wow,,,im only a 14%er

i feel a little safer now

Old 12-28-2004, 03:01 AM
Trailblazer

..Bear......the 650 has bigger outer splines than the 500 as i had to change a hub becuase i broke a brake caliper off ..and the 500 hub would not fit........just ..saying it wouldnt work.............no offence..........good riding......and by the way my 650 has been in the shop a few times but nothing major...........a belt and so on......but i have my reverse override disconected ..so if i am not carful i will burn the belt in reverse.................never have slipped it in low range going forward.and i wish i hada digital camra i wouls show u guys some rough riding..........lots of mud.......took us 4 hours to go..about 4 miles.............lots of heavy MUDDDDDDDDDDDD..........BUT THATS A GOOD THING....WINKING AT U......LOL...any belts i replaced have been my own fault.....and only in limp mode 2 times in 1300 kilos....and one was the 100 hour check up.......also ..the guy who broke the axle on the 500 ....what no waranty.............thaT SUCKS....

Old 12-28-2004, 04:07 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: limrok
..Bear......the 650 has bigger outer splines than the 500 as i had to change a hub becuase i broke a brake caliper off ..and the 500 hub would not fit........just ..saying it wouldnt work.............no offence..........good riding......and by the way my 650 has been in the shop a few times but nothing major...........a belt and so on......but i have my reverse override disconected ..so if i am not carful i will burn the belt in reverse.................never have slipped it in low range going forward.and i wish i hada digital camra i wouls show u guys some rough riding..........lots of mud.......took us 4 hours to go..about 4 miles.............lots of heavy MUDDDDDDDDDDDD..........BUT THATS A GOOD THING....WINKING AT U......LOL...any belts i replaced have been my own fault.....and only in limp mode 2 times in 1300 kilos....and one was the 100 hour check up.......also ..the guy who broke the axle on the 500 ....what no waranty.............thaT SUCKS....

All I have to say is that 2 different on line parts catalogs show the same axles in the 400, 500 and 650, at least the part number is the same. Now thats for 2005, I didn't check the 2004 models.

Old 12-28-2004, 04:21 AM
Trailblazer

[quote]
[quote]
[quote]

Q]

First off you premise that the older ones have a higher accident rate than the young is so far off base that there are no stats anywhere to back them up. The ATV stats basicly follow the stats on autombiles. The problem youth has is that they still can't imagine death or even just an accident happening to them, you know the old "I'm young therefore I am perfect and can't make a mistake". That is the main reason the younger age group stats stay high. If you live you learn. Oh yeah, I never have and never will claim to be perfect. But I am still alive and still doing things. BTW, the National record I set was in 1986 and I was 40 years old.

I ran a 428SCJ stock that had 425 flywheel hp on a dyno and 350 hp at the rear wheels with 4.30 gears and all that stocker would do was 101+mph at 6000rpm in the lights, that's with 13.90 ets. The multi-carbed hopped up 428 CJ was dyno'd at 580 hp and ran right at 120 mph, the car carried the front tire for about 2 car lengths, ets were in the 12.70s. Flywheel hp is way different than rear wheel (truely usable) hp. I don't think 400 hp would ever get you 110 mph because gearing changes effect torque and do not effect horsepower. ET is effected by torque and but it takes allot of horsepower for minor mph increases. I also owned a factory 427 Mercury Cyclone that ran 13.80s at 105 mph. I worked on a '70 Camaro with a very modded 350 and 4.88 gears and it only went 12.50s at 115 mph. Again the gears helped et but horsepower limited the mph.
I will say that I was wrong about kids with accidents but I do see alot of older people that think they are untouchable. I will also state that I know I am not untouchable for the previous car accident that I was in but for going 3mph in my yard with a passenger I can state that there is about no chance there will be an accident and if there is Whatever happens will not even be remotley life threatening in any state.

In another not I will say that if you have a car with 425 horsepower and you loose 75 of it before it gets to the wheels there is something wrong there. Also if it has 350hp at the wheels and runs 13.90's in the 1/4 something is definately wrong there. I've tinkered around cars for the past 3 years of my life and probably have been to the race track more times then you. I will tell you that a 2001 Chevy Camaro with A LS1 motor runs about 13.6 to 13.9 from about 103-108mph difference with about 300 horses on the ground. I am not positive but I think they have 3.46 limited slip in them. Also 580hp and only 12.70's that seems a little high for almost 600 horses behind the hood. Considering a Chevy corvette with claiming 405 horses with pull a 12.6 all day. So you need to go to a good dyno or learn how to drive. 580hp range should be in the 10 sec land and 120mph is close to border line 11's and 12's so you need to recaculate a little bit. I don't know exactly what my car will run in the 1/4 considering I have not run it yet but I know before it was 14.76 at 92 and now with the new 360 it should be up at about the 110 range probably closer to 105. But from what you said before those cars are really slow from how much hp they got but also I am not considering elevation where you live and where I live that can be really the only other facter other than those cars didn't really put those numbers down.

Old 12-28-2004, 11:02 AM
Pro Rider

i thought this thread was about how much time your quad spent in the shop.
not riding with passengers.
and who cares if someone rides double or not.
if somthing happens when someone is riding with 2 or 3 passengers its the owner who has to live with himself or herself.
so back to the subject.
my cat spent more time in the shop the in my garage.
every time i got into some mud or deep snow it broke.
it got to be so bad the the warrenty people said that was the last time they fix it under warrenty because i had over 2800 dollers of repares and that was it.
no more warrenty.
so i traded it in on a honda rubicon and i've never bin happyer.
2500 plus kilometers and just a small oil leak that was fixed the same day at no cost to me.
i will never buy an arctic cat again.

Old 12-28-2004, 12:44 PM
Trailblazer

The reason for the non- existence of accidents in our case has more to do with our age and experience levels.Most of us are 40 plus , police officers,engineers,buliders,business owners, retired guys,....well oiled individuals with much experience and a lot to lose.I realize it is an anomoly but non the less true and proof of the safety that can be achieved with experienced drivers.A # of us have had decades of experience behind the wheel of toys....... how does 37 years behind the handle bars sound?hahhaha. As I stated in another post we have had some accidents with solo riders...which is pretty much the norm based on Bears statistics. The safety issues are always paramont in every sport but we must all realize there will be attrition regardless of what efforts are expended.
I recently had an experience with a close relation of mine who is 16 years old. I have a 450es which he has driven many times over the last few years around my property under a watchful eye.I have spent hours with him on the physics of riding/internal combustion engines etc......July 4th 2004 a group of guys wanted him to go for a ride a few miles from my property. I reluctantly agreed warned him for the 1000th time of the dangers....made sure he had his goggles, helmet, gloves, boots, fuel, oil, properly inflated tires,........My wife and I stood in the driveway when he left and waved.....I said to her he will get hurt ...he just hasnt got it........he gets hurt skiing........bycycling..........just hasnt got the dexerity....but life is risk and his parents(who were standing there) were ok with it......
3 hours later he came back injured. He went over the handle bars at a high rate of speed and had a deep bone fracture in the right arm......The fracture was bad enough to have a bone graft from his hip. He is still in a cast as I type this post...........He will be driving a car soon........I fear for his life......I do not believe any training of any sort will change his fate. Maybe Bear knows what we do with this type????The world is full of them....Maybe a 8 week ATV boot camp??

Quick Reply: Does you Cat spend a lot of time in the Garage? How does it compare?