Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Wheel Bearings

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2005, 09:59 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel Bearings

Can anyone out there offer any advice on changing the wheel bearings on my arctic cat??? It is an 03 400 4x4 FIS. I have had it about 2 years. I have already put 1300 miles on it. Yes I know that's a lot but I love to ride.

Any information such as where is a good cheap place to buy the kits and what I have to do to get these things put on would be awesome.

Old 01-12-2005, 10:52 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Wheel Bearings

Front bearings:

Take off tire, unhook tie rod end, upper and lower ball joint, cotter pin and crown nut on axel, and remove steering knuckle.

Pry out inner and outer seals, remove spring clip and use hammer and chisle or large drift pin and hammer out old race.

To reinstall bearing and race, use a socket the same size of the race and lightly tap it back in.

Rear bearings on act axel you just need to pull the axel and press off bearings. You may need to take them to a napa, etc., to have them pressed back on...I have used a pipe or metal sleave the same size of the race and tapped them on.

Best price I have found for bearings on the net is:

www.pivotworks.com/default.asp

Old 01-12-2005, 01:01 PM
Pro Rider
Default Wheel Bearings

You can drive the rear ones in too. Just drive on the outer race, not the inner.

Old 01-12-2005, 02:11 PM
Trailblazer
Default Wheel Bearings

i just did the rear on my 2002, it took 45 min to do it all. pretty simple task and the two gentleman above pretty much tell ya how to do it. the bearing was 30 dollars. thats from a small atv shop here in my town. front and rear bearings are the same also.

Old 01-12-2005, 05:56 PM
Pro Rider
Default Wheel Bearings

Don't forget both seals when you do the bearings. They're like $2 each.

Old 01-12-2005, 07:31 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Wheel Bearings

Thanks for all the help fellas!!

I bought a kit today from the pivotworks website. They were pretty resonable. I got everything I needed to do all 4 wheels for $100 shipping and all!

Thanks a bunch

Oh by the way....if anyone is looking for a GREAT deal on a GREAT set of wheels and tires go to ebay and look for precision power sports. They are a company that sells everything on ebay. I bought a set of ITP mud lites from them with the new cast type series 5 alluminum wheel and an aweswom set of tires cheap. Everywhere else I've seen these wheels and tires together as a set has been $650 dollars (not including shipping)!! And that didn't even include the chrome lug nuts and valve stems. Those were extra!!! Well listen to this. I got everthing i needed.....everything!!!!!!!!! And they shipped out mounted and ready to go for $500!! That was shipping and everything. Not only that but the day after I ordered I had the wheels in 2 days!!! Check it out!!!!

Old 01-13-2005, 06:52 PM
Pro Rider
Default Wheel Bearings

Cat4x4me,

Were the bearing you pruchased sealed bearings?

I was quoted about $150 for bearings for my old Suzuki King Quad. I then took the measurements and called a bearing place and got everything for $35 including shipping.

I used a friends bearing press to take out the old and put in the new bearings and it took less than 1hr to complete all 4 hubs. No banging with a hammer to tap them old ones out. If you have access to one I would highly reccomend it. Plus there is less risk of damaging the new bearing when you put them in.

I have just under 2000miles on my 03 AC400i and I know they are probably getting close. I am probably going to put in a sealed bearing when the time comes.

SJ

Old 01-13-2005, 07:52 PM
Pro Rider
Default Wheel Bearings

I buy all my bearings and seals from the local bearing shop. Through the bearing shop I got sealed bearings and seals to do both sides of my Kodiak for less than the cost of just 1 bearing at the local yamaha shop. All I had to do was tell the guy the year make and model of the quad and he was able to look it up for me. I would suggest everyone to check with their local bearing shop if you have one nearby. You'll get much better quaility bearings at a fraction of the cost.