Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

I need advice on first atv purchace

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2000, 09:39 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm a 63 year old semi-retired senior living on Bull Shoals lake(south east of Branson, Mo.) Originally from upper mid-west. I do a lot of hunting, fishing, outdoor photography. Hunting some here in the Ozarks,and Illinois, but a good deal of the fall months spent elk and deer hunting in Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, and New Mexico. I have run 4x4 trucks for years, and did have a Honda big red a few years back. It has reached the point where my old legs and back are not up to walking in and packing elk out.I am looking at atv's. I have narrowed it down to the A/C 500 auto or shift model, the Polaris sportsman HO and the Honda Rancher 4x4 Es. Would welcome advice on what would fit my needs. Confort, reliability, service, and the ability to get up and down the mountains in dust, mud and snow are important, and to pack out heavy loads are important. Questions

1. How is A/C on dealer and factory support on sevice and problems.
2. Do you recommend the factory tires titan 489, or up grading to the 589 titan or good year mudders. I am in deep snow and ice at times, also what if I went to 26" tire? would it affect my center of gravity much and torque. What size 26" tire and wheel is recommended? I'm trying to increase clearance.
3. I've been told if the A/C fan blade gets in water it blows the fuses. Is this true ? What's the fix?
4. I've been told A/C don't hold their value and are hard to sell. Any truth to this.
5. I've been told the A/C lights are not to good compared to polaris. Any truth to this an what is fix?
6. I've been told A/C are hard to hold if going parallel on a steep hill.
7. Have you heard of belt failures on A/C.
8. Is most of the western BLM and National forest land trails open to ATV use for hunting?
9. Would the warn 2500 be advisable over the 2000. I always carry ****** block and straps.
10. What about extended warranties? Are they worth the cost as to how they pay? I under stand A/C dosen't offer one except on special promotions.
11. Are clutch failures common in the standard transmission models?

I am leaning towards the purchase of the A/C either auto or manual, but would welcome all the advice and help I can get. I've rode the A/C around dealer parking lot only but realy like it.

Thanks,

FIRE1911@aol.com

Old 09-18-2000, 10:01 PM
Range Rover

Wow--lots of questions, let me try a couple:
* Holding while paralleling hill--seems kinda tough, can't let the handlebars go, thats for sure. I don't know if it's any easier on any other machines or not.
* Fan fuse blowing--I installed a switch so I can turn off the fan while going through deep water. Statement is true, fuse will blow.
* Belt failures--never heard of any
* Tires--stock 489's are doing me just great but I plan on going to 589's next year. I don't like the way mudrunners perform on rocks. I'll do 26", probably 12" wide in the rear and 9" wide in the front.
* Extended warranty--as far as I know you can purchase it anytime while the factory 6 mos warranty is still in effect. Advise: ask your dealer.

Thats about all I'm comfortable with answering. Some of these guys know a lot more than I do. I'm sure you'll get lots of input. Good luck.

Old 09-18-2000, 10:35 PM
Trailblazer

fire1911,

It's a small world. I live in Mtn. Home.

If you are looking at AC at the local dealer or Harrison I'd think twice about it. I have three friends with ACs. They were all bought at Harrison and the local guy refused to do warranty work on one of them. The other two were taken back to Harrison. One needed the indicator lights fixed and they had it for about a month and a half, the other needed indicator lights fixed and a top end rebuild and they had it for a little over two months and never could fix the lights. I don't have anything against AC, but when it comes to crappy dealers I just think you should be warned.

I ride a sp500. I got it in West Plains and the dealer there is great. I had to take it in twice. Once for a leaking water pump and once for brakes. It was all covered by warranty and they fixed it while I waited so I didn't have to make another 100 mile round trip.

A dealer that won't run out from under you is worth quite a bit in my book.

Old 09-19-2000, 12:48 AM
Pro Rider

1. Well the first 7-8 months of owning my cat was not so good cause they took a long time to do anything(took 2 months to get my thermostate fixed{99 models and old only} cause when I went to pick it up the found out the water pump seal was also bad the day I tried to pick it up the first time). After they fired the drunk of a mechanic it got ALOT BETTER. BTW: my salesman is the BEST EVER, when I lost my oil fill plug and he didn't have any in stock HE GOT ONE OFF OF A FLOOR MODEL FOR ME!!!!. I returned the favor to him a couple of weeks ago a a hunter's expo, I basically sold an Arctic Cat 300 for him.

2. The 489s are great factory tires, but 589s are a GREAT aftermarket tire. They combine the ride and look of the 489s witht he traction of a really good mud tire, very close to the performance of the Vampires. I would go with 26" tires ATLEAST, 27" ARE BETTER with only a slight decrease in torque. As far as center of gravity goes-- just get spacers and you will feel ALOT better as far as center of gravity goes.
As far as wheels go, I was not impressed AT ALL with the way my ITP steel wheels mounted up on my 1999 model(but I don't have studs, my wheels bolt up to the hub). The factory wheels are lighter, better looking, and better fitting.

3. The fan does blow fuses, but all you have to do is mount a switch to turn off the fan in water thats that deep.

4. I think they hold there value ALOT more up north than down south cause Arctic Cat is known alot cause of there snowmobiles. Arctic Cat IS VERY NEW down here. So they don't hold much value down here(but about nothing but Honda does either cause EVERYONE owns one down here).

5. I know on my 99 model the lights down right suck, but I plan on putting the H/L Dual light kit to fix that(single is only needed but duals look somuch cooler).

6. I have gone where other quads could not go(mainly 450's). I Have gone threw a canal and had my freind on his 450 flip not 30 seconds after I did it. I know the Cats are more stable than Polarises also cause I ride ALOT of them at the local Polaris dealer in town(good freinds with the dealer).

7. Never heard of a belt failure on the Arctic Cats, heard and have seen ALOT of Polaris belt failures tho.

8. I have no idea-- I ride mostly on private land.

9. A warn is a good winch, But I am a VERY hard core rider and I wanted THE BEST. So I went with a Rule 3300 lbs WATERPROOF WINCH. IT's WAY OVERKILL for a quad, but I guarantte that I will never be in a spot where my winch bogs down. BUT I also paid abmost twice the price of a warn, but I got what I wanted.

10. I got an extended warranty warrranty under a speacial promotion also(2-year), But they're availible threw out the year. No matter when you buy, but it's WAY cheaper to get it juring a promotion.

11. I have abused my clutch a good bit( poping the clutch on cement{which by the way you Can't pop a wheelie very well, after the fronts get 1ft off the ground you lose traction and do a wheelie burn out}, powershifting, and taking off in high gears)

Personally Would take the Arctic Cat 500 Manual. I am still deciding whether or not to trade in my 99 for the 2001 model. I love the updates that they have done for 2001 and Just want one BAD!!!

Sorry for the long post but, I just had to get it out of my system, it's been a while.

Old 09-19-2000, 02:19 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

1. How is A/C on dealer and factory support on sevice and problems.
-- don't know, never needed to go back (2 years, 1450 miles)

2. Do you recommend the factory tires titan 489, or up grading to the 589 titan or good year mudders. I am in deep snow and ice at times, also what if I went to 26" tire? would it affect my center of gravity much and torque. What size 26" tire and wheel is recommended? I'm trying to increase clearance.
-- That increase won't effect your stability. I went to 27" and didn't notice any drop off, and I was sure expecting it. No problem here.

3. I've been told if the A/C fan blade gets in water it blows the fuses. Is this true ? What's the fix?
-- Never had that problem. Mine is a 99 so the fan is controlled by thermostat and doesn't run all the time. Like Boner said, you can install a switch.

4. I've been told A/C don't hold their value and are hard to sell. Any truth to this.
-- True in the south. Its a new quad, and a lot of people don't even know what it is. Anything new won't have good resale, because it has no history to go on. If you trade often (3 years), get a Honda. No problem selling at all.

5. I've been told the A/C lights are not to good compared to polaris. Any truth to this an what is fix?
-- They are as good as any other 2 headlight setup (except Bombardier). An added third headlight from Highlifter is the fix. Never had one burn out or anything, but neither has my honda after 11 years.

-- False here. Possibly the most stable quad I have ever ridden. All situations. That is its greatest asset in my opinion.

7. Have you heard of belt failures on A/C.
-- Never heard of one on an AC. Good belt design. Better than the polaris. On par with the Griz. I hate auto's though.

8. Is most of the western BLM and National forest land trails open to ATV use for hunting?
-- no clue, sorry

9. Would the warn 2500 be advisable over the 2000. I always carry ****** block and straps.
-- only if you want to spend the money. The 2000 is fine though.

10. What about extended warranties? Are they worth the cost as to how they pay? I under stand A/C dosen't offer one except on special promotions.
-- No clue. Didn't get one. Never needed it so far. No problems ever.

-- doubt it. manual atv's are for the most part bulletproof unless you abuse them. Judging from your age, I doubt you will. I'm 26 and have the sense not to do such things. Basically, you would have to try to get it to happen.

Ground clearance with my 27" Claws is 8" at the utmost lowest point. That being the rear diff. drain plug. Its lower on 99 models than on 2000+ so it would possibly be a half inch higher. About 11 inches at the front skid, and 10 at the frame. Remember that actual tire diameter under the weight of the quad varies from tire to tire. My Claws are true to their size, where as my 26" titan 495's measure just a hair over 24" when mounted.

Old 09-19-2000, 08:42 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dear Fire1911 (or is that, "Fire1911A1?"):

You've received thoughtful answers to your excellent questions; I'll offer only a couple of thoughts:

You've lots of experience; however, I strongly recommend you take the ATV Safety Institute Rider Course. Arctic Cat (if they're like other manufacturers) will pay you $ 100 to take it, and although I'm sure you've plenty of experience, you'll learn something. For example, you asked how the Arctic Cat performs on parallel hills; you'll learn the techniques for off-camber riding in the ATV Safety Institute course (along with how to cross obstacles, climb and descend hills, swerve and panic stop, etc., etc.). Four hours of your time invested well.

Second, about the winch; the A2000 and the A2500 have identical motors and geartrains; the A2500 has a remote switch and solenoid control system, the A2000 uses a rotatry switch. With your ****** block, either is adequate for your quad.

Third, since you like to hunt and might have the opportunity to haul some big game out of the woods, you might want to look at "Paw-Paw's Big Game Hoist"

You have lots of choices in makes and models of ATV's; I think the AC's a good one.

Welcome to ATVing.

Tree Farmer

Old 09-19-2000, 02:44 PM
Range Rover

Fire1911,

Hey I hope I make it to 63 years old but until then it’s 40-50 hours a week. That Branson area is great! Was stationed in KS,Mo for 6 years and we went there when possible. I noted your outdoor history and surprised you only now started looking at ATV’s, you picked a good time to look, In all honesty I don’t believe there is a bad “bike” out there. If there was, you’d certainly have heard about it by now. It may just boil down to a couple of things. What do you want your bike to do, where are you going to get it serviced, and what are you going to do with it when you are done?. Hope the following helps.

You’ll still need your back and legs but there are some after-market items to assist in hunting big game, or you could just carry a pulley system to hoist game up and drive under it.

Never narrow it down, that was my mistake. Keep looking, but give yourself a deadline and go with the purchase. Like a car, list what you gotta have and list what you can live without. See my post under Bombardier/Traxster evaluation. With that, I’ll throw in my 2 cents. Hope this helps.

Comfort: ? I always thought Sportsman rides nice. I like the Traxster because it really is easy to get on and off the bike. I consider my back at all costs and so far so good.

Reliability: So far, so good. At 63, I don’t think you’ll be giving it hell 24 hours a day, but I might be wrong. They all have their limits.

Service: This is a dealer issue. My dealer no matter what I asked told me to bring it back so we can make it right. I consider that reliable in service, but he can’t make me a new widget, he can only service it within the confines of the warranty. So I’ll do my part and keep the tires on the trail.

Ability to get up and down the mountains in dust, mud and snow are important, and to pack out heavy loads: I used to worry about that, but I just had to get over the fact, that is will never be showroom clean again. Look into the many aftermarket trailers and racks, there is something for everyone out there.

Opinions to your questions, I’m still looking for the answers.
1.How is A/C on dealer and factory support on sevice and problems?

I think they’ll all want your business and do what needs to be done if you break your bike or something happens. Stay in touch with the forums, they are your starting point to review when you may think something is wrong.

Take a look at the after market tires, there are plenty to choose from. Get tires that match your riding habits and terrain. If you’re like me, I panicked and got chains, now I think maybe I should have ridden for a while to find out what kind of ridding I like to do and base my next tires on that. Mudders look cool and nasty and tough, but maybe all I need are turf tires on certain days?

No Idea, The radiator on the Traxster sits in back and up high. Not a worry yet.

4. I've been told A/C don't hold their value and are hard to sell. Any truth to this?

No Idea, I think if you take care of your purchase and get the use out of it, selling would be easier than selling a hot hunk of junk after you’ve ruined it. I’m still under the thought that selling a set of ATV’s is easier than selling one. Besides, you’ll always have parts, even out on the trail.

Look into light kits. The Traxster has a port for a hand held spot light (lighter style) Again, how important are lights to you?

No Idea, this is more of a terrain issue mixed with a tire issue and perhaps a weather, speed and driver issue as well.

7. Have you heard of belt failures on A/C.? Slippage or breakage? Belt problems have always given me the *******

Let us know when you find out Fire1911.

9. Would the warn 2500 be advisable over the 2000?

Someone said they are the same motor.

10. What about extended warranties? Are they worth the cost as to how they pay? I under stand A/C dosen't offer one except on special promotions. Nope!

No Idea, which is why I lean towards the automatic.

Good luck in your purchase Fire1911, let us know what you did.

Old 09-19-2000, 04:53 PM
Pro Rider

Fire1911:
You've got a lot of GREAT advice from everyone on here so far. Not much I can add that wouldn't be a repeat of everything already said, so I'll try to just add a little to the winch, tire and belt questions.

For the winch, like Tree Farmer said, they are the same motor, the difference is with the 2500, you get the remote switch as opposed to the rotary style. This has it's advantages, but there are also times it really doesn't matter which style you have. The 2500 also comes with the roller fairlead which is a little nicer on the cable in my opinion. Thing about it though, the A2000 pulls something like 140 amps at a full 2000 pound rated pull, and there isn't an atv on the market capable of putting out that kind of power. You'll be lucky to get half of that, so even though you've got the 2500, you won't be able to use it to it's full potential because of the power issues. You can buy the roller fairlead for around $40 or so if that's an issue for you, some people don't care if they have them or not, it's a matter of opinion I guess.

As for tires, like others said, the 489's are great all around tires. I'm trying to decide between the 27" Mud Bug and Titan 589's currently, mostly for increased ground clearance. AC put 26" tires stock on the '99 model 'Cats, so you definately won't have any trouble with that size at all. Like others suggested, take a look at the conditions you'll be encountering the most often and go from there.

As for the belt, well, the reason the AC belts last so much longer is because of the duramatic transmission design. The clutches are always engaged, so the belt is under constant tension, unlike the Polaris system that is similar to the snowmobile type setup, where it catches and releases. Each time it does this, it will lead to excessive wear and sooner belt failure. Though, there are people running Polaris autos with 3500 miles on the original belt, so I'd have to say it's probably more in how you drive it. Again, with the AC under constant tension, you're less likely to have trouble. My dealer said that AC claims the belt should last the life of the quad under normal riding conditions. Not sure how true that statement is, but he has not done any work on an AC Auto since they came out, and has never heard of any troubles either. Leading into the reliability issues here, he said he repairs more of the older 454's than anything, none of the newer 500's, with the exception of a few bent racks from abusive farmers.

Guess I got a little carried away here-again. As for the work issues, take a look at some older posts around here. I've done more work and hauling, towing than I ever thought possible with my auto 'Cat, so if you're interested in hearing about that, they're out there. Oh, and since you mentioned that you're 63 years young, I thought I'd throw in this last little bit. I take my grandpa up with me occasionally while working up at our property. He is 62 and absolutely loves riding the big 500 auto 'Cat. My grandma gets pretty upset with him because he gets a big grin on his face, looks happier than a little kid in a candy store, and bugs her to let him buy one for several weeks afterwards. He really gets a kick out of it, loves riding. He's had back surjury 3-4 times now, and has ridden about 50-60 miles during the longest trip out, with no pain or discomfort, so that says something about the suspension. Only thing is, his arms will get a little tired after riding a full day running elk trails in 4 low, constantly climbing steep hills and sharp turns rather frequently. Still loves it though, and never complains of anything.

Anyway, just another auto owner's opinions. If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask. I think there's a lot of good people on here who would be more than willing to help out, and I know I will if I can.

Take care,

Mike

Old 09-19-2000, 08:05 PM
Pro Rider

I have owned a 1998 Cat 500 manual for 2 1/2 years now, never had it in the shop. has been an excellent machine. I also snow plow with a 5 foot plow up here in Alaska. Last year we got about 100 inches of snow which means lots of plowing, the Cat did it like a champ.
We hunt about 150 miles south of the arctic circle in the mountains and swamp for the big Alaskan Yukon Moose. This year we got 2 big bulls which each weighed in at about 1500lbs. I put a whole front shoulder with ribs and neck on the front rack and went up a very steep slope with it, no problems at all. Weight of the meat on the front rack was probably 250lbs or more. Went all the way to camp 5 miles away never taking it off the front rack, (very impressive).
We also carried total GVW + trailer weight of 1500lbs up steep hills 16 miles in to camp. The Arctic Cat machine will do your hauling for you and never complain. Plenty of power and torque to spare. This is the kinds of test they need to put these machines through in these magazines, not how fast it goes.
Hope I helped a little, good luck with your decision.

Old 09-20-2000, 03:20 AM
Pro Rider

Irichard:
Hey, do you have any pics you could post of that trip? Sounds like an awesome time! I'm counting the days till Elk season starts-Oct. 28th thru Nov. 5th, can't wait! Deer season is Oct. 14th-27th, so that will be good too, I hope.

Take care,

Mike

Quick Reply: I need advice on first atv purchace