Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Don't Be Stupid...

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2000, 02:09 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be the first to tell you that I know nothing of the voting proces in Dade County, Broward County, or anywhere else in Florida, for that matter. But there's something to be said about those people who cannot go into a voting booth and cast a vote without knowing for which candidate they voted for.

Those people are the reason the Electoral College was created in the first place. The Electoral College was created because the founding fathers believed that the average citizen was aware of the basic ideals of government, yet ignorant of the intricacies of the political system.

In general, this holds true. Ignorance reigns among the masses.

If citizens would take the time and effort to vote for city council, the sheriff, state and/or county elections, etc., their familiarity with the process would help them to better understand how to pull the lever, punch out the card, etc...

There is a lesson to be learned from the debacle in Florida.

The message is simply this:

Take an interest in the government.
Government effects everyone and everything in our daily lives.
It all starts with the things closest around you.
VOTE...not just during presidential elections, but every chance you get.
Don't be the person who goes into the voting booth once every four years.
Take an interest in your life, your local elections. Practice makes perfect.

Excerpt paraphrased from:
Op/Ed section
The Advocate
Baton Rouge, La.
letter from Jed Chapman
concerned La. citizen

Thank you Jim,
Couldn't have said it better myself.

Mike

Old 11-19-2000, 12:58 AM
Elite Pro Rider

I can't figure out how come the machine can't count. The results are different every time they run them through the machine. I read where some people punched two holes. They accidently punched the wrong one and then the right one. I guess that it never dawned on them to go get a new ballot. To me as important as this was,i took the time to look over the ballot before i ever marked it once. I also read where they gave these (copies of ballots) to 3rd graders and they did not have any trouble with them. Kids seem pretty smart til they are about 12 years old, then the next 15 years they can be pretty stupid. 27 to 55 are the better years, then it starts going backwards again.

Old 11-19-2000, 02:19 PM
Pro Rider

I think the complaints about confusing ballots are just an excuse. They had plenty of time to challenge the ballot, but it was approved by both the Rep & Dem parties.
Just a thought, but what does it say about AlGore when he, in public, on TV, says that a bunch of the people that support him are too dumb to figure out a ballot that 3rd graders have no toubles with? Makes you wonder what he really thinks about his constituency.

Old 11-19-2000, 06:03 PM
Pro Rider

Great Point!!! I wonder why no one in our wonderful media (can you say brown nosed, liberal journalist wannabees) has asked our friend Al Gore this same question.

If I had a chance, I would!!!

Lance

Old 11-19-2000, 07:43 PM
Range Rover

Hi Guys, had this emailed to me and thought you might enjoy it also.

NOTICE OF REVOCATION OF INDEPENDENCE:

To the citizens of the United States of America:
In the light of your failure to elect a President of the USA and thus to govern yourselves, we hereby give notice of the revocation of your independence, effective today.

Her Sovereign Majesty Queen Elizabeth II will resume monarchial duties over all states, commonwealths and other territories. Except Utah, which she does not fancy.

Your new Prime Minister (The Rt. Hon. Tony Blair, MP for the 97.85% of you who have until now been unaware that there is a world outside your borders) will appoint a minister for America without the need for further elections.
Congress and the Senate will be disbanded. A questionnaire will be circulated next year to determine whether any of you noticed.

To aid in the transition to a British Crown Dependency, the following rules are introduced with immediate effect:

1. You should look up "revocation" in the Oxford English Dictionary. Then look up "aluminium". Check the pronunciation guide. You will be amazed at just how wrongly you have been pronouncing it.

Generally, you should raise your vocabulary to acceptable levels. Look up "vocabulary".

Using the same twenty seven words interspersed with filler noises such as "like" and "you know" is an unacceptable and inefficient form of communication. Look up "interspersed".

2. There is no such thing as "US English". We will let Microsoft know on your behalf.

3. You should learn to distinguish the English, New Zealand and Australian accents. It really isn't that hard.

4. Hollywood will be required occasionally to cast English actors as the good guys.

5. You should relearn your original national anthem, "God Save The Queen", but only after fully carrying out task 1. We would not want you
to get confused and give up half way through.

6. You should stop playing American "football". There is only one kind of football.What you refer to as American "football" is not a very good game. The 2.15% of you who are aware that there is a world outside your borders may have noticed that no one elseplays "American"
football.

You will no longer be allowed to play it, and should instead play proper football. Initially, it would be best if you played with the girls. It is a difficult game. Those of you brave enough will, in time, be allowed to play rugby (which is similar to American "football", but
does not involve stopping for a rest every twenty seconds or wearing full Kevlar body armour like pancies).
We are hoping to get together at least a US rugby sevens side by 2005.

7. You should declare war on Quebec and France, using nuclear weapons if they give you any merde. The 97.85% of you who were not aware
that there is a world outside your borders should count yourselves lucky. The Russians have never been the bad guys & "Merde" is French for "s..t".

8. July 4th is no longer a public holiday. November 8th will be a new national holiday, but only in England. It will be called "Indecisive
Day".

9. All American cars are hereby banned. They are crap and it is for your own good. When we show you German cars, you will understand what we
mean.

10. Please tell us who killed JFK. It's been driving us crazy.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Queen Elizabeth II

shmoky

Old 11-19-2000, 08:33 PM
Elite Pro Rider

I say give them a pair of boxing gloves and let them get after it for 15 rounds. I doubt either one would make it passed 3 rounds. I don't see a end to this for weeks to come.

Old 11-19-2000, 09:48 PM
Range Rover

shmoky,

LMAO...

Thanks for taking the time.

Mike

Old 11-20-2000, 12:47 AM
Pro Rider

The sad part is after all the recounting it seems that only Bush has gained votes, not Gore. So Gore is saying his supporters don't know how to vote, yet it's the Bush voters of Flordia that can't push hard enought on a peice of paper.

Whats the news on the absenty votes??