Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

300 Won't Run Unless Choke is On

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 10:29 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 300 Won't Run Unless Choke is On

Well guys, carb is out and dissasembled on the bench. The main jet was open meaning I could see through it. I blew in the air and some carb cleaner anyway to all three jets. Anything else I should be doing before I put it back together? I probably won't do that until Sat anyway since I used up all my swear words getting the thing out and it will take me a few days to recover. I love how in the manual the picture of the carb in the bike has nothing else around it like wiring harness, oil hoses, and frame joint. It makes it look like you can lift it right outta there.

Harry

Old 05-04-2007, 07:28 AM
Pro Rider

lol, I will let you borrow some words if you want to do it sooner lol

Old 05-04-2007, 09:39 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the words, I only needed a couple when I reinstalled it last night. It was after I discovered that the initial problem is stiil there that I ran out of words again and had to borrow some from a neighbor.

As soon as I apply throttle it quits.

Harry

Old 05-04-2007, 11:52 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: HarryinPA
Thanks for the words, I only needed a couple when I reinstalled it last night. It was after I discovered that the initial problem is stiil there that I ran out of words again and had to borrow some from a neighbor.

As soon as I apply throttle it quits.

Harry
As you well know for an engine to run it needs 3 things. Correct fuel/air mixture, correct timing and spark, good compression.

Since it does start you can remove the compression which leaves 'correct' fuel mixture' and/or correct 'ignition'. Of the two there could be a dozen things single or multiple.

Assuming that the carb is in good condition (at least clean now). Things to double check would be the choke, float, jets. If you had a way to test the carb such as put it on another machine that could narrow things down.

If the carb is ok that leaves ingnition. Could be a loose ground wire, battery itself, magneto, spark plug, cdi box, timing etc. Generally start with free and least expensive and eliminate those.

I know this is probably not much help or consellation to you but it may be a list for you to double check.

@%$#!, #$%*@#, ^$%#, some extra 'swear words' - my own personal favorites.

Old 05-05-2007, 02:36 AM
HR
Range Rover

sounds like an idle screw or air screw is outa wack.... i dont know your carb but i would be looking for either of those 2 things.
do you still have to have the choke on for it to run?
what does it do when running will i load up? black smoke? does running ti without the air filter help? can you play with the choke and throttle get it reved up and then take choke off/? what does it do?
after it's ran for a while pull the plug and tell me what it looks like? fouled? when it's running can you smell gas at the tail pipe?

let me know

HR.

Old 05-05-2007, 04:00 PM
Trailblazer

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Success With a warning

I took the carb out again, bought a fresh can of cleaner and made sure that cleaner came out of every jet. I gave it a short test run and it was pretty good. I didn't even need the choke to start it. Thanks V2, Buck and Swampy for rootin me on.

Now, the warning. When I reassembled it I installed a new fuel hose, Dayco 3/16" and inline filter Purolator F21124. When I came out to try it on the test trail it started, idled for a short time and then just quit. It would not start again. I took off some bodywork to look at the filter and it had no gas in it. I removed it and tried to get gas from the tank and nothing came out. Upon examining the new hose I found that it was totally occluded at both ends and the filter nipples were gooey with rubber. I put the old hose back on and it runs great. I don't know what would make that happen but I am not buying that brand of hose again. I just hope nothing got into the carb.

Harry

Old 05-06-2007, 01:57 AM
Pro Rider

HarryinPA,

Glad to hear you got it fixed. Sounds like the hose you bought to replace your old fuel line was not designed to be used as a fuel line.

Most fuel lines have printed on them what type of liquids they will work with. I hear you also have to be careful with filters that try to filter the fuel to too small a particle. IT slows the flow of fuel to the carb too much and the engine will not run correctly.

But, now you know how to get the carb off the machine, and it sounds like you have increased your vocabulary. With the addition of the filter at least you may not have to remove the carb for a while.

Just fixed a friends fuel problem tonight on his Foreman. He had some black, flaky crap in the tank that was plugging the fuel pick up screens in the tank. Good thing we pay so much for such high quality fuel.

Keep the rubber side down.

Sj

Old 05-06-2007, 09:54 AM
Trailblazer

I agree with you Swampy that it was not designed for fuel but then they should not call it "Fuel Line Hose" and say on the package:

"Designed to meet or exceed OEM requirements. For leaded, unleaded, diesel, gasohol fuels. (not for fuel injection applications"

I just wanted to warn anyone who might be thinking of replacing their fuel line with this brand of hose.

I am taking it back to Pep Boys for a refund.

Harry

Old 05-06-2007, 12:38 PM
Pro Rider

Glad to hear that you got it running again.

Gee just think, you have increased your mechanical knowledge and experience, learned some new swear words, saved some money by not having to take it go a mechanic. And now you can hit the trails with a big smile - DOESN'T GET ANY BETTER THAN THAT....

Old 05-06-2007, 12:43 PM
Pro Rider

Just want to offer something for you to think about.

I premix my gas with 1/2 oz each of Marvel Mystery Oil, dry gas, carb/injector cleaner for every gal. of gas. For me it works.