Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

slipping clutch

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 06:11 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default slipping clutch

What is the correct procedure for adjusting the clutch on a 2005 AC 400, 4WD manual transmission? Do you have to go inside the engine? Or can it be done externally?

Old 11-27-2007, 02:52 AM
Pro Rider
Default slipping clutch

My service manual only goes through 2004 models but as far as I know they made no transmission or engine changes on the 400 in 2005. So here it goes.

located on the right hand side of the engine block (if you are sitting on the machine) is an oval cover attached with two screws.

1. Remove the screws securing the oval cover. and account for an o-ring. Underneath this cover will be two screws with jam-nuts. Possible a small amount of oil.

2. Loosen the jam-nuts securing the adjustment screws. Screw #1 (the forward most screw) and screw #2 (the rearward one).

3. Rotate screw #1 COUNTER CLOCKWISE until it stops.

4. Rotate screw #2 alternately CLOCKWISE and COUNTER CLOCKWISE to ensure free movement without binding; then lock the jam-nut on screw #2.

5. Rotate adjustment screw #1 CLOCKWISE 1/8 a turn; then lock its jam-nut. (it may click as you do this which is normal)

At this point the clutch should be properly adjusted. Test drive to ensure. If slipping still occurs repeat the steps again.

If this procedure does not stop your clutch from slipping, check that you have the proper oil installed (one that is wet clutch safe), and or your clutch may need replacing.

I have done this many times. I have about 9200 miles on my 400. I believe I am nearing the end of the life of my clutch as the adjustments no longer work as well and I am having to run in low range any time I ride the machine. I am looking into replacing my clutch this winter. Good luck.

Also, get yourself a service manual for your machine it is a valuable tool when you need to work on the machine.

SJ

Old 01-05-2008, 05:46 PM
Pro Rider
Default slipping clutch

will that procedure work on a 2003 machine? if so is the adjustments only 1/8 inch at a time. my problem is that the engine revs more now than it used to before it starts to move. will this fix that problem?

Old 01-06-2008, 09:16 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default slipping clutch

Hey Mountainclimber: I've adjusted my clutch as the manual suggested. It says to turn the forward screw counterclockwise as far as it will go and them 1/8" clockwise. I've also changed my oil to one thats for 4 stroke engines. It's also recommended for use on wet clutch. I've done the above procedure and my 400 still takes about the same amount of revs that it did before to get moving. Especially when you have it under a load. Such as starting off going up hill or making a sharp turn. After I get moving and everything seems to catch up, I have all the power I need. I'm still looking for an answer. I plan on tinkering around a little today. Good luck. If I hit on something, I will let you know what worked or did not work. See ya.

Old 01-07-2008, 11:43 PM
Pro Rider
Default slipping clutch

will that screw come out? the first one when you go as much counterclockwise as you can go before turning it 1/8 clockwise again?

Old 01-08-2008, 05:40 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default slipping clutch

Mine has never came out. It should go until you make contact with your clutch plates then stop. If it does come out I would say for sure that your clutch needs replacing. Give it a try and see what gives. I didn't get a chance to work with mine this past weekend as I had planned. We had a large ice storm a couple of weeks ago and I have been busy playing lumberjack. Will keep you posted on any progress I have made.