Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Difficulty shifting

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 05:00 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Difficulty shifting

I just bought a 2007 AC 400 manual with only 60 miles on it. I didn't get the owner's manual (hopefully will be sent by mail soon) and I'm having a bit of a problem with the toe shifter. I have driven a manual bike since my dad's Big Red 20 years ago. Anyways, I take off in 1st, let go the gas, upshift in 2nd no problem, speed up, let go the gas, but when I try to upshift with my toes, it won't unless I press the front brakes and upshift at the same time. It seems I have to slow down lots to upshift to 3rd and then rev up and slow down lots to upshift to 4th. Even then, it feels like I'm wripping off my toes trying to shift and there's so little space to put my foot in. I'd prefer the heel toe lever but it's just the toe model.

Any suggestions? Anything else you guys can point out that I should be aware of before I get my owner's manual?

My 13 year old son has not been successful yet in upshifting to 3rd and he's pretty disappointed.

Old 04-15-2008, 10:31 PM
Pro Rider

try adjusting the clutch.

Old 04-15-2008, 10:35 PM
Trailblazer

I've never done that before. Can a novice mechanic like myself handle such a task or should I get it done by a pro?

Old 04-16-2008, 09:18 AM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is per the 2007 OEM Manual- - -
(400/500 Manual Transmission)
To adjust the clutch, use the following procedure.
1. Using an impact driver, remove the screws securing the cover and remove the cover. (Rectangular plate located near oil fill) Account for the O-ring. {if you don't have an impact driver - lots of times you can accomplish the same thing by tapping on the end of your screwdriver with a hammer}

2. Loosen the jam nuts securing adjustment screw #1 (forward) and adjustment screw #2 (rearward).

3. Rotate adjustment screw #1 counterclockwise until it stops.

4. Rotate adjustment screw #2 alternately clockwise and counterclockwise to ensure free movement
without binding; then lock the jam nut securing adjustment screw #2.

5. Rotate adjustment screw #1 clockwise 1/8 turn; then lock the jam nut securing adjustment screw
#1.
?? NOTE: At this point the clutch should be adjusted correctly. Test to ensure accurate adjustment.

6. Install the cover making sure the O-ring is properly positioned; then secure with the screws.

Old 04-16-2008, 09:33 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

After that try using a motorcycle grade full synthetic oil. My Yamaha Big Bear and Moto 4 were hard to shift even with work boots on, after I switch to Full synthetic oil I could shift the ATVs with sandals on easily.

Old 04-16-2008, 02:36 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the advice. I'll try adjusting the clutch and synthetic oil. Should the shift from 2nd to 3rd be easy...I mean how much upward pressure should be put if it's normal?
thanks

Old 04-19-2008, 07:15 PM
Trailblazer

For those of you who have a 2007 AC 400 manual, do you have a toe shifter only or is it a toe-heel shifter?

Old 04-19-2008, 07:49 PM
Pro Rider

gillyguzzler,

Sounds to me like someone has replaced the heel-toe shifter with just a toe shifter. Plus they may not have gotten it adjusted into the right slot so your foot easily fits under the shifter.

I think you could try removing the jam bolt on the shifter, and sliding it off. It has gears or splines on the shaft. Mark the position it is in and see if you can advance it on the splines giving you more room under it for your toe.

Otherwise, you should be able to go to the dealer and get a heel toe shifter and swap them out.

With 60 miles on the machine you need to really put more miles on and the gears will loosen up a bit, besides giving the engine a bit more pick up. I think the first oil change is like 100miles or 10hrs or something like that.

I have just over 10,000mi on my AC 400 with the original clutch. I have had to adjust it but it is usually slipping when that happens.

The shifting process you described is spot on except that I usually have a little pause before getting back on the throttle while up shifting. While down shifting and pulling a load I first let off the throttle, depress the toe shifter, tap the throttle with my thumb, wait for the rpms to come down, release the toe shifter, and get back on the throttle again. I only do this while towing a heavy load as it helps take some of the lurching out of the down shift process while towing. It is like double clutching a truck in that it takes some time to get used to it.

On a side note your 400 is not the right machine for your 13yr old son to be riding on his own. 16yrs and older I believe is how it is listed on the stickers and owners manual.

Hope this helps.

SJ