Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Rear Brake Master Cylinder Rebuild "Foot Brake"

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2008, 03:32 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Brake Master Cylinder Rebuild

I had a similar issue with my 2003 model. Except the foot brake was mechanical and was useless. I tried adjusting it, replacing the pads and nothing worked. It would barely hold the weight of the machine on a hill. So I removed the braking mechanism and the pedal instead of putting more $ into it. The single hand brake works very well and I do not go racing around so I don't need it a lot anyway.

Good to know you can "re-outfit" the mastercylinder to make it work.

They should have a rebuild kit for it. I am really amazed a the lack of aftermarket parts for certain AC models. I do not think that is AC's fault though it is the normal ATV industry. I would be curious if a rear master cylinder for a Suzuki would work on an AC?

SJ

Old 11-27-2008, 07:02 PM
BTI
Trailblazer

I have been thinking of adding a master cylinder to the right side hand and splitting the brakes.
I would then just do away with the brake pedal completely, as well as the rear master cylinder.
I hate the set up the way it is stock.
I like my front and rears seperated.

BTI

Old 11-28-2008, 12:16 AM
Pro Rider

I was surprised to learn that the foot brake activated one set of brake pads on the rear wheel, and the hand brake activated another set of rear pads (along with the front brakes).

The only reason we use the foot brake is to hold the machine and still have the use of your hands for scrolling through the GPS, having a drink of water, reading a map, or just generally fooling around without having to crank down the parking brake (basically locking down the hand brake).

Seems like a little bit more R&D could solve some of these issues (along with producing a rebuild kit for what seems to be a common failure - the rear brake cylinder).

Old 11-29-2008, 10:24 PM
Weekend Warrior

I am having a sililar problem .I have a 2003 500i manual rear foot hydraulic hand for 2 front calipers and one back the hand master is bypassing will be looking for a rebuild kit if one can be found.

Old 12-01-2008, 10:22 AM
BTI
Trailblazer
Default Rear Brake Master Cylinder Rebuild "Foot Brake

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: MrTommy

I was surprised to learn that the foot brake activated one set of brake pads on the rear wheel, and the hand brake activated another set of rear pads (along with the front brakes).

The only reason we use the foot brake is to hold the machine and still have the use of your hands for scrolling through the GPS, having a drink of water, reading a map, or just generally fooling around without having to crank down the parking brake (basically locking down the hand brake).

Seems like a little bit more R&D could solve some of these issues (along with producing a rebuild kit for what seems to be a common failure - the rear brake cylinder).</end quote></div>

On mine the brake hose comes down to the dist. block. (2008)
2 hoses run to the front brakes, one goes to the rear master cylinder.
Then another hose leaves the rear master cylinder to one single caliper set-up with one set of pads on the right side only.

BTI

Old 12-01-2008, 11:30 PM
Weekend Warrior

'06 500 TRV has a dual system on the right rear wheel. Front caliper works on the foot brake, rear caliper works off hand lever. Found this out the hard way sorta, had a bad grating sound when I used the foot brake, no noise with the hand brake. Pulled the wheel and found that the bolts holding the front caliper had come loose and disappeared, and the caliper was just riding around on the brake disc. When I used the hand brake, no problem. Whe I used the foot brake, it would slap around until it struck a bolt or something that kept it from turning with the wheel. Scarred up the inside of the rim pretty bad, but apparently not enough to cause wear-thru or other damage. After putting Loc-tite on replacement bolts, no further problem. SO, unless you have pulled the wheel, don't be sure about the foot brake ***'y. Have a great day.

Old 12-02-2008, 08:50 AM
BTI
Trailblazer

The older style set-up would make it easier to custom-fit a different master cylinder for the rear.
The combo MC makes it tough to do that.

BTI

Old 03-03-2010, 08:47 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by MrTommy
Ok, got one of the bikes back today with the 'new' master cylinder. Here's a couple pictures of the modification.

The part is from a 1987 Honda VFR 700 street bike. My mechanic had to slightly lengthen the linkage but this is a sweet fit. No more rear master cylinder problems and I will most likely never have to even rebuild this unit. The pictures are from my wife's bike, and I liked it so much I'm having him do the modification to my bike before I have to have it done.

I think I'll send the pictures to Arctic Cat to show them how they might actually FIX this problem on their newer bikes...

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Oh, and here's the bike this master cylinder came off of (or actually, one just like it)

Sorry to bump an old thread, but what is the sesor or whatever it is that is hit when the foot brake is released. You can see it in the first picture right at the top of the master cylinder shaft. I am thinking it is for the rear brake. Mine is broken and i can't seem to find it or what it is.

Help is appreciated.

Old 09-18-2010, 02:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

Gents, I have the '04 400 with exact same problem and cannot imagine spending the $$$s to fix the problem seeing as the brake handle engages the rear brake as well. That said, do you think replacing the whole rear system with a cable (not hydraulic) system would be cheaper and could actually be done?

Old 09-18-2010, 07:54 PM
Trailblazer

chiming in here as well...my gf has a 2005 ac400.....bike has about 500 miles on it....her rear brake (foot pedal) went last week....i still have to look at it......

also i sometimes prefer to use just the back brake for when i am going down steep hills